Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall Aster Parade

Mid September/October roadsides , prairies and bike trails in Bluff Country see a exuberant explosion of purples, blues and whites of the native Asters. Their bright blooms are one of the joys in the changing season. Even deep in the woods asters will make an appearance. There being many different models of this particular plant and the fact that some of them "interbeed" I'd make no claim at expertise in identifying each and every one. Still, short or tall, an aster is an aster and for fall color, I love them all. Take a look at a few along the bike trail.

Amidst the beautiful colors of the blues and purples are the whites: wood aster, calico aster, small-flowered white aster and flat-topped white aster, like bright candles in the Autumn dusk.
The first to bloom among the white asters is the wood aster, opening its starry flowers under the trees in late August. The small-flowered white asters and calico asters come next. Calico Asters are so named because the white ray flowers can surround either yellow or purple disk flowers on the same plant. The aspect is one of an old fashioned calico fabric spread across the bushy plants, which can reach a height of 5 feet, but are often smaller.

My hiking companion Baron "Humphrey Bogart", standing in a patch of Calico Asters says "here's looking at you kid."

12 comments:

  1. So very pretty! Fields of them... wow, what a sight that must be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a pic of the pink asters we have here in Nebraska... I wish I had more varieties. Can you send me some? :) Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are just so pretty. And Baron looks exactly like he's saying that to you! LOL. Nice post, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The asters are the main color around me.There are a few others hanging on, but it looks like all are ready for first frost.I enjoy this weather with the ups and downs of climate change.Glad you weren't flooded whan the water rose.Headed out today to ride some horses with a group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful series of photographs. But you know Baron always steals the show, even in a field of gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only asters we have are cultivated so we do not have such a big, lovely show of them. It sure is pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is my favorite time of year ~ we are deep into the reds and golds and yellows ~ nature can be so magical!

    And how cute is Baron? Very cute!

    Happy weekend friend! :)
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. Though we know the asters signal summer's last gasp, what a beautiful way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your pictures of these beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing these views with us. I'm not sure Baron appreciated the flowers as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asters are among my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos of the flowers! So-you've been stealing our New England Asters- have you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love asters, and they're so prolific. It's one of the few flowers I can still enjoy after my move from Canada.

    ReplyDelete