Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Land of Saints and Scholars

Day 1. Arriving in early morning, after an overnight flight from the Twin Cities, we went south along the coastal expressway towards Glendalough in County Wexford. Leaving the four laner, we headed up into a beautiful hill and valley country. The narrow but well maintained highway passed small scattered woodlands, and rock walled fields teeming with flocks of sheep.













Our destination was the famous St. Kevin's monastary revealing the early origins of Christianity on the island. It dated back to the 6th century. The monastery sat on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. Take a look.....
The monastery at Glendalough was enclosed within a circular wall. Unlike Benedictine monasteries, Celtic monasteries embraced entire families; men, women, their children and animals lived in the outer walls, while the celibates lived within the inner walls. In these worlds within the walls, they prayed and worked together in unity with all creation. The cathedral was destroyed by the English in the 14th century.

This very early Christian history of Ireland was a revelation to me. From hence came the saints and scholars, who traveled to England, France, Germany and beyond to help Christianize and bring learning to much of Western Europe.






12 comments:

  1. I was always so mesmerized by the old, old structures there, esp. the monastic ones. We just *think* we have old history here. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jayne. It would be mesmerizing to see these historic structures -- something we don't have here in America. I love the sheep photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of history there. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My second time traveling Europe I sent a card to a nun who enjoyed the areas I was going to and said I had wished I knew all these saints better. As soon as I posted it I thought, I just asked her to assemble a stack of books for my return. Beautiful imagery.

    Yes we are year round trout fishing and some lakes are getting a stocking just to increase interest in the program, that normally wouldn't substain them. The next is near Des Moines the 19th and I plan on spending a few days over there.I go a few days after stocking since they shock out and the crowds stir them up too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Ireland once on business, but did not get out of Dublin. I've always wanted to visit some of the historic sites of that beautiful island, so I'm grateful for your photos and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am enjoying this..as I have never been off this continent. The ruins look amazing..that Celtic? cross in the cemetery looked way cool. Now there are some old building and some great history!
    We got snow last night..just enough to make the ground white...I guess winter is upon us:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really enjoying your trip. Hope you have a lot more wonderful photographs and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! I loved seeing the old monastery and getting a glimpse of Ireland as I've never been. Beautiful rainbow in the post below. You two look like you're having a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I'm guessing the flights were uneventful. Thank goodness for traveling mercies! It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'm glad you shed some light on Irish history. James Joyce was not kind to his ancestors, and I've always thought there was more to the country's story than he let on. He claimed to be holding up a mirror for the Irish people to see what they had become, but I think he must have banged it up a bit before turning it on them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two couples (friends of ours) also just returned from Ireland. I hope they visit your blog and photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading your Ireland posts and looking at all the great photos has me thinking that it's time for me to read another Maeve Binchy novel. So many of her stories take place in Ireland.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool historical scenery-what a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete