Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Ring Of Kerry












Day Three - On a rainy windy morning we headed off from Killarney to tour the fabled Ring Of Kerry. This mountainous peninsula faces the stormy North Atlantic on Ireland's western coast. Until recently peat had been Ireland’s major source of heating and cooking fuel. Peat is essentially, given a few million more years, future coal. We stopped that morning at Kerry Peat Bog Village to see a reconstruction of a long past lifestyle. The village centered around the hand digging of peat and the other attendant occupations associated with it. The dark piles, next to the cottages, are peat.
Later we stopped at one of the many local inns, where good food and the inevitable shopping venue were located.
The "mountains" here are low, perhaps two to three thousand feet, largely denuded of trees. They do, however, offer spectacular views of lake and seascapes.



Our first stop at sea level provided, for us Midwestern landlubbers, a rude awakening. The rollers coming in had to be around fifteen feet high. Except for a possible winter storm on Lake Superior, it was more ferocious than anything I’d ever seen.
The wind was..... well take a look.







The Ring Of Kerry - a scenic Irish highlight.

9 comments:

  1. This is where I wished to have a waterproof camera, or many times in my kayak. That ocean can become rough fairly quick along with the temp dropping a wee bit.Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather looks brutal there! But I noticed you are not looking *cold*, so the temps must be fairly moderate.

    So many opportunities to take great photos there, I bet. Must have been difficult to put the camera down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trip you're having, but the weather is really crazy. Looks like you and your Mrs. were braving it quite well, however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That was some wind and rain there! I thought the RIng of Kerry was the most beautiful part of our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just loving this trip. Glad you didn't lose your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my screen is dripping. I guess that's why Ireland is so green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time I bet you take a hat with ear flappers and maybe one that ties under your chin. It certainly looks like you are going to blow away. That is quite a group picture..LOL..it is a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I didn't have to face that wind -- I would have lost my hat for sure. But the Peat Village does look interesting, I imagine the views from higher up the mountain were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice-I love the dramatic wind effect.I hope to visit Ireland some day as I have relatives in County Cork that I've never met.

    ReplyDelete