Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Summer Wildflowers

As spring passes into summer, the native woodland wildflowers fade into memory. Along the prairie hiking paths and the bike trails, following the old railroad right of ways, I begin to look to look for the wildflowers of summer. Here is a sampling of this years highlights. Narrow leafed (Common)Sunflower











Blazing Star (Liatris)

Purple Coneflower and Butterfly Culvers Root and Fleabane















Blue & Cream Gentian Golden Rod



























Rattlesnake Master
White Prairie Clover Wild Phlox

And last but not least, one day Mrs. T and I were cruising some backcountry gravel roads and came across, in the ditch, a patch of very rare (in Minnesota) native Turks Cap Lilies. Some days you gotta just be lucky.

15 comments:

  1. all are lovely to see! thanks for the ids also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely collection, sometime as with me a simple find can be a remarkable event for the day or week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know I just have to say it friend ~ in the last photo ~ a rose among the thorns??? ;) LOL!

    You look very happy among those pretty flowers ~ well who wouldn't be!! They are lovely!

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize many of these flowers, Ray. But the most attractive of the bunch is in the last photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful collection! thanks for labeling them for people like me whose visual memory is much better when I see the words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this wonderful post. I wish I remembered all the names of the flowers like you do. I really enjoyed your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the liatris is the loveliest prairie flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful variety! Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love wildflowers especially all together like this. We share some of those in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It froze up here last nigh and is headed for about 22 degrees tonight..so the flowers will be all gone.
    I so love the Prairie Wildflowers! Thanks for sharing yours.
    I have never seen Turks Cap Lilies in Minnesota..so you were very lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your two blogs very much. I live in South Dakota and we used to vacation in Minnesota but haven't been back there for almost twenty years. I really enjoyed the wild flower photos as I too love to spot and identify wild flowers. I also liked the photos of your German Shepherd. It brought back memories of our two shepherds and of the good times we had camping with our dogs.
    Very enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I begin to look for the wildflowers of summer."

    ...Setting out to do something of this nature just makes a routine walk seem more like a treasure hunt, doesn't it?! The bounty you beheld, if only because you were looking for it, is displayed beautifully here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful selection, some familiar to me and some not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good summer memories. Fun to go along on your wildflower ID and bike trips.

    ReplyDelete