Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Snowy Owl

From Maine to Washington State a rare visitor from the Northern Canada began showing up this winter in the northern tier of States. In what is called an irruption, snowy owls had migrated south in search of food. Mrs. T & I traveled across Minnesota in search of them with no luck. Finally, in a very warm March, the reports of sightings ceased . Apparently, these beautiful birds were returning to their natural habitat in the far north. I had given up hope for my first ever sighting. And then early one morning the phone rang. It was my friend and birding mentor, Mr. Science. A snowy owl had been spotted less than ten miles from my home. Mrs T and I rushed out the door headed for the scene.
Gary and his wife Bobbi were standing on a gravel county road as we arrived. "Is he gone"? I asked worriedly. Both pointed across the road to the ditch, where a magnificent snowy owl sat in the grass looking right at us..... Snowy owl pictures have been all over the blogoshere this winter but seeing one in person is another experience all together. Staring right at me and not moving. Wow! Take a look.








The snowy just sat there. Unmoving. They are notoriously not frightened by people ,as they live in the far north where few people are found. Still, something didn't seem quite right. We all backed away to discuss the situtation. After some time she made a few awkward hops and even spread her wings. It was time to call for help. The help was found at the Houston Minnesota Nature Center. There an annual Owl Festival is held and Karla is the expert. Because of the liklihood the owl was injured, she recommended capture. However, the locals who were expert and experienced could not be reached. Would we volunteer to do the job? With some trepidation, the answer was yes. She explained how to do it. Next in Part II THE SNOWY OWL RESCUE.







18 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I'm so excited to see and hear about what happened next. There were a few here in Montana that were found to be injured as well. I didn't see any that were however. She's beautiful! I wonder what happened to her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, sure hope this will have a happy ending! sounds like you're about to get up close and very personal with one of these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! There have been only a couple of sightings in Utah. I've kept alert for them, but no luck. This really is a thrilling sight. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait the hear about the rescue. Our Milwaukee daughter has seen a couple of Snowy Owls this year near Lake Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! So glad you rescued her and can't wait to see how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What???? You are leaving us hanging? We must know what happened to this beautiful creature. I sure hope nothing is too wrong with it. Too bad your first snowy owl sighting was of an injured one but I am hoping this has a happy ending. I shall return!

    By the way, have you seen the movie "The Big Year"? About extreme bird watching with Steve Martin? Very funny. Owen Wilson's charecter was in search of the elusive snowy owl. :)

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you rescued her or him..I cannot wait to hear how the capture went down. I hope you gave Mrs. T the camera. Way to go Troutbirders and friiends!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I'm so glad you found a Snowy Owl, TB....and from the sounds of things, even more happy to hear you have been part of a rescue. So many of these birds swoop down from power poles along side a road and get hit by vehicles. Looking forward to reading the story.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am anxiously awaiting the "rest of the story," as Paul Harvey would have said... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't keep us hanging here too long...Please!!! We want to hear the rest of this fantasy story :0)
    Great shots...will there be more?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sharp shot on that owl, glad you were able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wanted to thank you for dropping in and commenting, but your email wasn't enabled. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can hardly wait to read the next part of your story, but I'm glad you got to add the Snowy Owl to your lifer list. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely creature. Can't wait for the rest of the story. How forturnate for the owl that it wasn't some one wanting a mount that found him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am returning your visit to my blog. Very exciting that you were able to rescue the Snowy Owl yourselve ... It is not an easy task and apparently you did it well. Like your other commenters, I look forward to a happy ending follow up. Love your blog ... if you go down on my blog to old posts I have a feature on a Great Horned Owl you might like. Nice to be in contact with a fellow nature lover. And my dog Izzi's best friends are a pair of female German Shepherd. They are wonderful pets ... very smart. You are blessed.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great bird.

    Hope the next post brings good news.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting to see such a beautiful owl and to be part of a rescue!

    Lily's story is so touching. It is amazing how animals wiggle their way into our lives...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you got to see a snowy owl, but it's sad that the raptor is injured. I'll move up to the next post to follow what happens.

    ReplyDelete