Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Deer Hunter


It all started with an invitation to join Mrs. Troutbirder and her teachers’ sorority for breakfast at the Pope & Young museum in Chatfield. "What's Pope & Young," I had asked, looking for an excuse not to go. "I don't know either", she replied but Jewel said Steve is going so.... "Ok," I replied not too thrilled.
The breakfast was decent, the museum tour was terrific. Pope and Young turned out to be a national bow hunters club dedicated to conservation and record-keeping. It is similar to the Boone and Crocket club for gunners. The museum had the history of bowhunting in dioramas and other exhibits. Saxton Pope and Art Young are the two gentlemen who are synonymous with the bow hunting revival that began near the start of the 20th century and continued through today.

Of course, I was thrilled to relive my boyhood memories of Fred Bear hunting the polar bear with his bow and my Ben Pearson long bow. In my youth, I had proved to be an adept hunter of squirrels and rabbits. And then I couldn't help but remember my first years bowhunting the elusive Minnesota whitetail.

It all began my first year of teaching in the Valley. Several veteran bow hunters, Don and Jerry, invited me to join them for the fall deer season. They were my mentors in this exciting new sport. I knew there would be no "buck fever" for me because well... I was Mr. Cool.

Several outings produced no opportunities. Then my big chance came on a Saturday morning near Lanesboro. I had been placed at the head of a steep gully about fifteen yards above a small spring. My hunting partners fanned out to either side after advising me that any deer would surely come up the ravine on their way to the spring. I was situated behind some bushes and directly in front of a large log.
It was still not quite light when I assumed my standing position. I was ready, willing, and able to take my first deer. Soon every little sound in the forest got my attention. I was sure a number of times that deer were approaching me from behind.... only to find, upon carefully turning my head, that it was squirrels, grouse, chipmunks and other woodsy creatures. No deer though appeared  for hours. Finally, I decided to sit down on the log, where I could still see the spring ahead and down to my right. The bushes concealed my vantage point.

I never heard the deer closely approach me from the left. There were three deer which I saw out of the corner of my eye. Paralyzed, I never moved. The lead deer stopped not five feet in front of me on the other side of the bushes. Then she turned her head, lowered it slightly and stared right at me. Now what do I do?
I swear every time I blinked she seemed to stare harder. The standoff lasted an eternity. Every time I slowly tried to stand up and get my bow (which was lying across my lap) into a vertical position she twitched. Finally, I decided on Plan B. I would lift my still horizontal bow slightly, draw the bowstring, and shoot her straight thru the bushes. At five feet, I could hardly miss. From my sitting position I I slowly began to draw, reaching about half a draw, when the string ran into a large obstacle.... my stomach. I could have shot. Probably having the effect of a small mosquito bite. About that time I also noticed several more deer gathered around the spring. I picked out the largest and went for the stand-up quick shot. At my first motion to stand up, the deer on the other side of the bush let out a loud "woof" and immediately all six deer scattered in six directions. I never got a shot off.
I bow hunted a few more years after that but as my friends had moved on to other school districts, I found it was the camaraderie of the hunt that had been most appealing. Thus ended my deer hunting years although I continued with upland game and waterfowl but those are other stories.

15 comments:

  1. Good story, with a happy ending. Bambi ran away! Well told, TB. I felt like I was there with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your story! You must have been able to cut the tension with a knife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you "hunt" birds and beauty in nature now and share it here. I know that hunting is a way really to protect the species so that those that do survive can, but I could never see myself shooting anything in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A variation on 'buck fever', known by hunters of all abilities. I was hunting with my cousin and our dads when I was 12 or so, he had a 30-30 lever action with three rounds in the magazine, none in the chamber. We were in a draw, supposedly driving the deer up to our dads when a big buck walked out about 10 feet in front of my cousin. He raised the Winchester, and ejected all three rounds out onto the ground. The deer stared at him, then slowly walked away. I was behind, and had no shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you left those beauties in the woods, TB.

    Cheers,
    Jo in Minniesnowda

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) At least you tried bow hunting! Good experience..I enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is still an exciting story, even if you didn't get your deer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story... I'm one who is glad that you didn't get the deer that time. They are such beautiful creatures...

    I'm not a hunter but there are a few critters that I could KILL--one being those pesky squirrels and another being those nasty chipmunks.... Despise them both!!!!! Oh Well.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since my husband has been a passionate bow hunter all of our married life, I'm quite familiar with the names Pope & Young!
    Great story, it's a beautiful part of the state you speak of, with some amazing whitetails.
    My husband hunts whitetails with a compound bow, but really enjoys the aspects of traditional archery. He has taken a rabbit or two with a long bow.
    PS: I always enjoy the mention of Fred Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well told. I could feel your tension. I am a bit of a weenie about hunting but respect the bow hunter. It levels the playing field a bit and gives the deer a chance. The hunter must actually hunt using skill and stealth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh love your story but I have to admit I was happy for the deer. I spend a lot of time mingling with the deer in our bush, I have no problem with eating venison as that is all we had when we were children but I remember my Dad in his later years sitting in the bush watching the deer and knowing now that now that we were no longer hungry how much joy he had from just watching them. B

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have told a wonderful story and I think we are all cheering for the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I join the cheering for the deer. I know about the camaraderie of the hunt -- it is contagious. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the story. We had a friend who was in a canoe moving to another area to hunt. They saw a snake swimming in the water. On a dare, our friend shot the snake with his arrow. Went through the snake who kept on swimming. Dilemma...lose an expensive arrow? Or bring a poisonous snake to your boat? (The others in the boat decided they would buy him a replacement arrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post on these two legends of American archery, and on your own bow hunting experience. I do hope you pick up the bow again--maybe for a chance at some backyard venison, but even if no deer falls to your arrow, shooting practice is great fun.

    ReplyDelete