Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Trip To VanCouver Island

We've been to Vancouver Island B.C on the Pacific Coast in Canada three times. Why not as it was our honeymoon destination fifty years ago this year. Our second visit was with our teenage sons and the final one just after both of our retirements from teaching. Yes, following the advice of Abraham Lincoln's sometime critic, editor and publisher Horace Greeley we like to "go west".   We had headed out  in that direction and you're invited to come along. The actual was three weeks and over 6,000 miles of driving, but we can definitely say we had a great time.
 
We left early Sunday morning, Sept. 13th, heading west on I-90 to Spearfish in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. The next day it was across the vast open spaces of northeastern Wyoming and then the Big Sky country of Montana. The second night found us in Missuola, Montana.

At Missoula, we connected with U.S. highway # 12 and turned west following the track of Lewis and Clark up and over the Bitterroot Range, through the Lolo pass. This found us in northern Idaho, where we followed the Lochse River to its near confluence with The River Of No Return ( The Middle Fork of the Salmon) at Lewiston. This gorgeous country was and is still the home of the Nez Perce. They, who had saved the Corps of Discovery from sure disaster and who seventy years later were harried across the West by the U.S. Cavalry.

 
 
After passing thru the irrigated semi-desert country of western Washington State, we came up the mighty Columbia River and its spectacular green-bedecked gorge. We spent that night on the south rim at Hood River, Oregon. A great nighttime view from our motel allowed us to see the twinkling lights along the river below.

The next morning we headed to Tigard, Oregon for a stay with my cousin Roger and his wife Marky. Tigard is a suburb of the "City of Roses," Portland.
 

Next: Portland - Gardens Everywhere!

 

21 comments:

  1. Hubby and I once followed US 12 the whole way. Love that scenery out west----really makes you appreciate the beauty of this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to "Go West" as well. :)
    You guys certainly know the places to go. Congrats on 50 wedded years, that is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 50th this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like a good road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, brings back many memories. Multnomah Falls, the George, and that's Washington Park you're standing above downtown Portland in the background. I spent some years up on 'pill hill', UOHSC in Portland. Looking forward to more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful scenery and I love the waterfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice country to explore. I took Amtrak out by the southern route and came back through the north.A favorite island to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh nice. You're taking us on a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been to Vancouver Island, B.C. a time or two, but by ferry, since I live just a short ferry ride away. I look forward to your next chapter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an area that I would love to see. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a trip I would love to take. We do have a beautiful country. Always a bit surprised when someone mentions the desert of Washington State. The wet greenery is what I usually think of. Vancouver is on my bucket list. Looking forward to your account.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done that journey several times and am among those lucky enough to have spent much time in both places - Vancouver and the Island for six years and Portland for eighteen.

    I like that you call Portland the City of Roses as transplanted Californians have tried to rename it City of Bridges. Personally, I always liked the older local name - Stumptown.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have done some of your journey. ;-) I love Montana, it is my second favorite state.
    Looking forward to Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your virtual trips, too, and your virtual friends and their virtual comments. For some reason as I read this "Me and Bobby McGee" started playing in the background. Playing in my virtual head, I should say, where Janis Joplin and Charlie Pride are working on an album. Are you going to end up busted flat in Canada? I guess you make it back. I keep wondering if Canada is going to get suspicious about your repeated visits. Back and forth, back and forth. "Hey mates, it's those Americans again."

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful country. I often think I'd like to move somewhere out there. Interesting that you and your bride honeymooned on Vancouver Island. My oldest daughter just announced she is getting married in October an she wants to have their honeymoon in Vancouver (or perhaps Victoria). Yes, I think she they would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been to the black hills but none of the other places. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My brother has a home just south of Salem. We like to visit there, so much to see and do! We like it out west too and some of our most memorable vacations took place there:) Hi to Mrs T and Lily:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a great area to visit. I really would like to visit the whole northwest areas again sometime in my old age. Beautiful sights that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find the path of Lewis and Clark most interesting as I'm using that in my novel that has been in progress for 7 years. I've followed the trail through the websites of each state, but would love to see it all for real. Sounds like you did it right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to follow your travels. We have seen much of the country you describe, coming from the other direction. Indeed, gorgeous country. I notice blue sky and shirtsleeves in several pictures, lucky you! Winter is dreary in my lovely valley.

    ReplyDelete