Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Friday, February 5, 2016

Beachcombing on Vancouver Island


 

Yes, there are beautiful beaches on the Island. Some face east to the "Inland Passage." Others face west toward Japan.
 
Some beachcombers stride confidently across the sand. This is familiar territory to the Herring Gull.
 
As the waves began to come up, surfers soon appeared.

Others, the touristy types, huddle and tiptoe carefully, not quite knowing what to expect.

The tidal pools hold unusual treasures. Some like this starfish don't travel well, as when years ago our sons tried to sneak one back to Minnesota. The horrible aroma in the trunk of our car told of its demise.

Then the boys also discovered a mantra ray washed up on shore early one morning. Needless to say that remained behind .

In the same manner, one evening, Mrs. T. and I came upon a washed up squid.


I soon had the feeling though I was being watched!
 
Further along the swells increased in size,
beating against the rocky shore.
 

As the sun set in the west, we were a long way from home, at Pacific Rim National Park..... but its was worth every mile it took to get there.

 

20 comments:

  1. A fun area to explore, always a treasure along the shore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it West! Is the weather that great there right now or does this refer to an earlier trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun to see what washes ashore. I think seeing a squid would be kinda neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing quite like beachcombing. I love the look of that beach. Great pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great trip! :) I hope you are missing the worst of the storms that have gone through lately...but maybe it is warmer where you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, what an interesting beach with all the dead creatures. Wonder why? Such a great way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pacific Rim Park is one of my all time favorite places . Massive long beach is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome place! Visited with our kids in 1986, on a big cross-country camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, nooooooooo to the aroma! Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice tour. Some photos from Pacific Rim Natl Park?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when you take us along on your journeys ... ones I would never see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was one bountiful beach. I's pretty sure i haven't seen that many things on all the beaches I've been to combined. Those are some beautiful pictures, too, especially where the mist rolls in and the waves are crashing on the rocks; not the typical beach pictures we see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the times I've been on beaches I have never seen anything except empty shells. Obviously I need to go abroad. You may have heard, though, that we have had several beached whales in the UK. It's all very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I would love to explore the tidal pools. You have intrigued me to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice. My daughter wants to go here in October for her honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Vancouver Isl.! Great photos! (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beachcombing. What a wonderful way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful. Vancouver Island sounds and looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat pictures. I'm going to put Pacific Rim National Park on my list of places to see. Thanks for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete