Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Riders on the Range

It seems the iconic American images of ranchers (cowboys) and farmers often involved riding horses and jobs like fixing fences or herding cattle.
Our good friend and farming neighbor Dick had a patch of sweet corn hidden away in a distant cornfield and offered some to Mrs. T and myself. The offer included a ride to the location.  Yes, horses aren't the preferred method or locomotion anymore..... Here he comes. I hopped aboard. Your welcome to ride along.
We headed off down a field road at a fairly breakneck speed ignoring the bumps and jolts. I hung on to the roll bar trying to look casual. All went well and I returned home with some supper sweet sweet corn. Yum! Then came the surprise. I was told "well when that's gone you'll have to borrow the 4 wheeler in the shed and go get your own."  Oh yah. So a few days later Mrs. T and I went over to the farm and into the shed....
Todays machinery is beyond gigantic and if you look closely there is Mrs. T in her cowgirl jeans underneath the combine checking out the chassis. A quick search soon revealed the horse.... I mean 4 wheeler and we were soon ready to head out in the fields.
We headed down a field road cautiously, even at a snail pace, when I was informed I was going way to fast and recklessly by my dear spouse.
 
Down the slope and then a sharp right turn into a field waterway which limits soil erosion. Then a series of twists and turns along several corn fields.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Let's keep a sharp eye now for the sweet corn. It's not always easy surrounded by field corn.
There it is up ahead on the left. El Dorado - Golden Sweet Corn!
 
 
 Oh yes, its sooooo good!
 

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenery, Trout, and I love the fluffy clouds in the sky. The corn looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you guys gonna get a "toy" of your own now??
    What fun. And I sure enjoyed seeing the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you think you're so smart. ;)
    What fun for you. First an adventure. Then a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! And is there anything better than corn right out of the field? I've got a friend who shares his with me, and I've already enjoyed it twice this season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being a lover of corn, I would have been happiest having a go on that four wheeler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corn is a big favorite with me. You tell a good story about getting your corn. Now wonder the corn patch is hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't get any fresher than that. corn and an adventure besides!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous place you live in. Those are nice pictures, though, Mr T, and that's a nice story. I liked the way you kept us in suspense until the end wondering whether the girl was going to go home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing better than Sweet Corn on the Cob in Summer... YUM.....

    YES---transportation has really evolved through the years....

    By the way, as a city gal (although I grew up in a small town), my hubby had to teach me the difference between Field Corn and Sweet Corn.. I had NO idea!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You might have the bestest neighbor ever. Wow, free access to sweet corn fresh picked from the field and what a cool ride to get there. Yep, best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fresh summer corn is the BEST! One of my favorite childhood memories was working in the garden with my mom, then coming home for a supper consisting of a big bowl of corn on the cob and a plate of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

    Lucky you and Mrs. T to have such great neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't get any fresher than that.
    Yum. I love fresh corn.
    And, I am glad to see that you enjoyed the ride to and from the cornfield.
    A great day for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love the sweet corn too, but you had quite the adventure getting yours! The fields are so green! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hand picked, fresh from the garden and a nice little excursion to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love sweet corn. Fun adventure for you too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I had a hidden patch of sweet corn. It doesn't seem to do very well for me, the times I've planted it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the trip. Actually I'm glad it was by photos. I don't do well in those open jeeps over rough ground, albeit the scenery is outstanding !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet corn fresh from the field can't be beat. I'm glad to see the two of you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete