Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, October 24, 2016

Fierce Animals I Have Known (Part II)

Continuing our odyssey of animals Mrs. T and I have encountered with our cameras, we move on to some equally dangerous but larger types...
It seems I had joined a group of  Wisconsin birders for an outing along the Mississippi. Forgetful, I had inadvertently worn my U. of M. gopher cap and after introducing myself, several asked how my team had done against the Badgers the preceding day in football.  This, of course, was a loaded question since they had lost badly, which made it something like 12 in a row. Taking off my cap, I pointed out that it was 1962, when I was a junior, when my team had been in the Rose Bowl. That produced a good laugh so I added there would be no more football talk while birding.
A hapless gopher
 
A ferocious, extremely predatory Wisconsin Badger found recently under a shed digging for rodents....
Some of you may recall a recent post I did about my early morning encounter on the porch of our cabin in Yellowstone National Park. There was something about his eyes...
 
Then it turns out that fierce animals are not the only ones to pose a danger. It seems some birds in Florida threatened our car as well.
A ranger at a State Park mentioned that the local black vultures had taken a liking to eating tires.
Fortunately I left my waders, flyrod, and swimsuit  in Minnesota
 
 And coming up in Part III Mrs. T. takes on some Grizzly Bears 

20 comments:

  1. Great photos of the ferocious critters. I've only seen a badger once. Who would have guessed that vultures were tire-eaters!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Gophers and Badgers have been tough on poor Iowa.I went to the U of AZ, LOL, but my dad and brother played for NE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that badger can really be mean. Vultures eating tires? They must really be bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great theme for this series of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the fierceness of the bison....they came close to our car in Custer...and I was very scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is to like in a tyre? Great pictures of the wildlife. Pity about your team, though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those gators are scary looking! Well, all of them are, except for that first one on the baseball cap. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DO you remember Sandy Stephens? It was a big deal when he chose to join the Montreal Alouettes, but his CFL career didn't turn out all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is a fearsome bunch. Vultures are famous for taking out windshields in Fl. They just aren't street smart.
    Hang in there Gophers. Hey if the Cubbies can--anyone can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those badgers are scary little things. Loved all the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Black Vultures are eating tires??? That's pretty strange.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your Mrs. have lived a more exciting life than I have. Can't imagine an encounter with Grizzlies but will have to wait for Part 111.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen several badgers on our explores. My husband had a badger live close to his house not far from the river.
    I love the alligator photos. Amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos of the vulture and alligators! We visited the Everglades last spring and were told the same thing about the vultures. The park had plastic sheeting to cover our cars with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That badger is pretty scary looking. They have quite the reputation for fighting. I've never seen one and I'm not so sure I would get as close as you and have the mind to take a picture. How neat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Part II has several more interesting photos. Even though we’ve seen it before, the buffalo picture is still fascinating. Love that one! Also the sign … Vultures may cause damage! That’s a new one for me. And the “no swimming” with the gators! Neat! Looking forward to Part III!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I can sympathize with the whole Gopher-for-a-mascot thing. A little rodent that digs holes and tunnels in lawns doesn't exactly translate to ferociousness or fear on the football field for outsiders.
    Fun photos, and nowadays I'm not watching out for gophers, I'm watching out for alligators while birding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that picture of the badger and those pictures of the alligator!!

    ReplyDelete