Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, May 28, 2023

A distant mirror the calamitous 14th century by Barbara w. Tuckman

Considering the bad times we are in now in this country politically and worldwide with climate change i wanted to find something that might be as bad or even worse to cheer me up that it could be worse.Tuckman's bookShows that there was something worseProbably far worth worse although the planet itself wasn'tthreatenedIt is now by global climate change The 14th century gives us back two contradictory images on the one hand a glittering time of crusades castles cathedrals chivalryan exquisitely illuminated books of cathedrals and chivalry on the other, a time of ferocity and spiritual agony a world plunged into chaos these are the years when the black deaths struck in the great plague killing more than a third of the pop entire population between India and Iceland, and returned four times during the rest of the century when free booting companies of Briggans terrorized Europe with impunityLike The Vikingsand & ...... When a hundred years of war seem to have no beginning and noend7fine belligerent pho&e efforts to end it acquired a life of its own when chivalry Defined the ideal that it formed a nurtured nobility was crlumbling under the impact of new weapons, new tactic .When a wave of peasant and proletarian revolts sept through Europe, evoking panic from fierce repressions by the ruling class....papa schism the rent the Christian wol tells it all at every levelrFrom family life to see battles and d Mrs Tuckman gives With only one political party actually having solutions to our problems and the other. It makes no difference which political party wins if there is only one which has all power that is the road to dictatorship regardless of which party wins if there is no agreement on truth we are doomedWinston Churchill saidThat democracy is the worst form of governmentexcept for all the restThis book isa clue as to how bad things could getAnd they were horrendousWe're not there yetBut we could be

5 comments:

  1. You haven’t cheered me up this morning, but I wish you a good day and week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuckman's book was my first read out of high school on European history. It is a good mirror of our life today. Good review, Ray. And yes, you're right. We could well be on our way out of democracy.
    Take care,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ray, long years ago, I read Tuckman's book and since then I've read most of her others. Right now, I'm reading books on World War I and two of her books are in the stack by my bed where I read at night.

    Thanks so much for your thoughtful review of Tuckman's book. It does help put into perspective what is happening in our own country here in the 21st century.

    I hope all is well and that you taking care of yourself. Peace to you from Dee Ready and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee miss you I in assisted livining Spring Valley

      Delete
  4. Hello everyone on here, I want to share with you all a great testimony on how I was cured by Dr Jekawo, who cured so many diseases.
    I was suffering from herpes and diabetes also my little sister was a victim of blood cancer too but with the help of Dr Jekawo we are all fine, well with his natural remedies that he prepare then send to us through dhl courier he then instruct us on how to drink the herbal medicines which we did and today we are completely well, we have being living free for 2 years now and it's seems like a God sent when I met him online by a lady giving testimony online like I'm doing right now.also I have introduce Dr Jekawo to several colleagues from works suffering from different kind of diseases and Dr Jekawo has healed all of them with his herbal knowledge. he's a great man with ancestral power to cure people with herpes,cancer,diabetes,hepatitis,hpv,lupus,als,hiv/aids, also spiritual consultation he's available for that as well.
    I email him on: drjekawo@gmail.com because that's the only source to get to him as he lives far from the United state,I told him that I will be giving testimony on his behalf because he's a good man with a Godly heart.

    ReplyDelete