Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

It Could Be Worse!

For fifty  plus years, watching hordes of hungry squirrels gorge themselves on the seeds and suet, I'd carefully placed in my bird feeders, has been somewhat of an annoyance. Initially, I used to blast them with my 12 gauge till Mrs. T and the neighbors began to look askance. Then I encouraged 5 generations of dogs to chase them off. Now, Lily has taken up that job with minimal results as there must be at least 2 large squirrel families living in the pileated woodpecker holes I left for the birds. Then, when recently I saw the following pictures a fellow birder sent me, I've  decided the problem could be much much worse.

16 comments:

  1. Definitely a bit more troublesome than squirrels.

    It's been nice looking through your pictures again. The garden is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that does put those darn tree rats in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly, I'll deal with a squirrel any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that bear is quite talented. I'm surprised the rope or cable holds him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's like a zip-line just for bears!!

      Delete
  5. Amazing photos of an amazing bear - they do test things don't they ... if they drop they'll be safe, whereas if we did that we'd need a ride to hospital. I think squirrels might be easier ... very annoying though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. An acrobat bear, how amazing is that? It puts my annoyance with squirrels in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's not worse; that's actually much much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Now that was quite the picture of that huge bear climbing that rope! Yep, that is way more interesting than a squirrel, that's for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to know what that line is, what it's made of, to that feeder. the bear look 100-150 pounds...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh MY!! I agree...your squirrel "problem" is nothing in comparison.

    I never mind the squirrels. I make sure that I give them nuts and food that they like and everyone can eat at our place...but they can't eat each other. (That's my only rule) Raccoons don't like to obey the rules though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Troutbirder, it truly does seem that most things are relative! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've made my day. I'm surprised that the big guy could get to the rope and feeder without all of it crashing to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That s one big friggin squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a raccoon that does the same thing. We had both a bear and a raccoon a few years ago. They start coming in the dark but soon get bold enough to come looking during the light.

    ReplyDelete