Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Leeks a.k.a. Ramps


Our neighbor, Gina, wanted to know if we would like some leeks. She had "too many," she said. Expecting the large supermarket variety from Costa Rica or some other exotic locale, I nodded "sure." "Mmmmm," I said to the young woman as she opened the bag, "are you sure those are leeks?" "I think so," she replied, "at least that's what  Fred our handyman told me. "He finds them in our woods and cow pasture." Increasingly skeptical and not wanting to risk poisoning my bride, I told her I wasn't sure what they were and would "check them out." Googling" is the operative verb as to what happened next!

It seems in the Blue Ridge area and down the Appalachian chain leeks are known as "ramps." Memories of Euell Gibbons on TV recommending the flavor of pine cones as well as Grape Nuts Flakes came flooding back. Further research revealed a few recipes and much praise of their "delicate and mild" onion flavor. Mmmmm. The cleaning process began early the next morning with visions of fantastic omelette's in mind.

Oh... they were so good. Now I can add them to the list of things to look for in the spring, like morels, that I can hardly ever find. Some time later, I asked Gina how she liked the leeks. She replied that she had "thrown them away." "You didn’t seem too sure about them," she added. Oh dear.......:(

18 comments:

  1. Oh gosh - what a waste ... definitely they look wonderful and having looked them up - I can quite imagine they taste delicious ... no wonder you will be out looking for them. What a delight to know about ... lovely - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame that she threw them away, although I think I think I would have done the same if there was a doubt. You never know these days! I hope she wasn't deterred from growing and gathering more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are new to me, but that breakfast looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that omelet grabbed my attention, that's for sure. They look great, TB. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. I didn't think they grew here in New Mexico but then I found this http://www.newmexicomyco.org/content/ramps and I found this information on sustainable harvesting of the trendy leek: https://www.wildedible.com/blog/foraging-ramps - Wh knew? Thanks TB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Troutbirder, yes, those leeks do look different from the ones in the grocery store. How wonderful that you goggled and discovered not only what they were but that they were edible. Thus, that delicious looking omelet! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little unnerving that she gave them to you but threw her own away. Regardless, looks like you came out the winner. That omelet looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those are so delicious! The northern ones are mild and lovely but the ones in the Appalachian Mountains have quite a bit more kick. The whole body exudes garlic odor for a couple days after eating them and kids are sent home from school after imbibing. A classroom of kids who have eaten ramps is nearly lethal! (Voice of experience here....)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad they were good to eat even though you knew they were the leeks of old.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are good. I have never been able to find morels, despite owning 25 acres in decent hunting land!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great. I have my great grandmother's recipe for ramp casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To my knowledge omelets are perfectly safe. Don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To find ramps here in the Appalachians is a treat and a secret that is well guarded. Careful harvesting is necessary to allow the patch to survive. Ramps are surprisingly high in Vitamin C and their early appearance in spring saved many a mountain dweller from scurvy. Glad you tried them. We mountain folk are a bit sorry ramps have become one of the "new" super foods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look just like the ones my grandparents had me dig up when I visited their farm in Vermont when I was 7 or 8. They were awfully good as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I lived in western North Carolina, there was a Ramp Festival each year in a town near our home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep---here in TN--we call them Ramps.... BUT I've heard of them being called Leeks. Bet they are good... I haven't had any in years --but my parents used to go out into the mountains/woods and get some on occasion... Good Eating for sure.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's is so funny. I've grown some strange looking veggies, but I always try them and I'm usually pleasantly surprised. Your meal looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wikipedia has interesting info, and info about the protected status in parts of Canada. I don't know if I've ever seen them, though we look for wild flowers constantly. These may be tricky because the flower comes out after the leaves shrivel.

    ReplyDelete