Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dubuque Arboretum

One of our favorite warm weather destinations is a 3 hour jaunt to nearby Dubuque, Iowa. This Mississippi rivertown is located in the northeastern corner of the Hawkeye State. Two attractions there that appeal to us are the Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium and Americas largest Arboretum and Botanical garden maintained entirely by volunteers. Recently, we joined friends Steve and Jewel, to make an early fall visit to the gardens. The gardens are the home of the American Hosta Society and have a huge collection of those favorites. In addition, there are perennial gardens, wildflower and native prairie gardens, an English garden and many other displays. Take a look.






















A favorite place to stop on our return to Minnesota is Breitbach's, the oldest restaurant in Iowa. We were saddened to learn last year that the place had been destroyed by fire for the second time. . Rebuilt again, it lies on a ridge overlooking a beautiful valley a few miles west of the Mississippi. A heartwarming story is that, in spite of great financial difficulties, the place was rebuilt with the help of neighbors from the small community of Balltown, Iowa. We had the buffet. It was excellent as always

17 comments:

  1. A lovely place indeed, there is a charm to that town and the total area.I like Bellvue State Park nearby, with a butterfly shaped garden , the largest in a state park, all done by volunteers also.I always wish this was my yard, but i sometimes think i have too much for as little time I spend home during growing season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful place. love the waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dubuque is a great town and we get there at least once a year for eagle watching at the Lock and Dam.

    I could spend all day watching the otters at the River Museum.

    Didn't know about the botanical gardens, but will have to check that out next time.

    We especially like the bar with all the stuffed animals near the downtown bridge. Can't remember the name, though.

    US-52 south of town is a great drive any season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great botanical garden to visit. I love botanical gardens, loved the Buchart Gardens near Victoria, BC. My sister grows many hostas and exotics at her Salem, Oregon home. I cannot grow such moisture loving flora here in New Mexico. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos, TB--this is truly a lovely botanical garden. Also enjoyed hearing about the restaurant and the supportive communities there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to Dubuque, but this beautiful arboretum is a great reason to schedule a visit. It was nice to hear about the restaurant that was rebuilt with the help of neighbors. Isn't it wonderful what ordinary people can do when they put their minds to it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I favor the waterfall too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool place to visit..and I see it was a working trip for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The formal garden areas are breathtaking. Awesome photos, Ray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That arbor you are sitting under is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a gorgeous place to visit and I have added it to our "someday" list of places to visit.

    Thanks for your comment on our weekend camping - we too enjoy Glacial Lakes and especially Maplewood state park in October when all the maples trees are brilliant reds/oranges/yellows. Did you read the recent news about a large marijuana growing operation on a remote trail in Maplewood? I can't believe someone is using our beautiful state parks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures! We have a botanical garden in Fort Wayne and every time my parents in law come i'd like to go there!

    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely garden! Thanks for the tour. I especially like the English bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always inspire me to look more closely at my state!!! Truly, I hope we get up to NE Iowa this Fall! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The arboretum looks beautiful. I'd like to go through the arch and view the English garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not been there, but I will put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete