Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, November 24, 2014

Windigo Island


I’m often drawn to novels that have settings I’m familiar with.  Thus picking up Windigo Island set in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin’s Bayfield and nearby  Apostle islands was easy.

Krueger's "Windigo Island" is the latest in his series featuring northern Minnesota private investigator Cork O'Connor, who is part Ojibwe. In this thriller Cork is asked by a family who lives on a reservation to find their missing daughter. The teenager left with a friend whose body was washed up on the shore of an island in Lake Superior where old legends tell of a fearful monster called a Windigo. But a real Windigo is more horrible when he traffics in young women to service sailors who come into Duluth on big ships. Cork must turn to his wise old Anishinaabe mentor, Henry, to confront evil.

The novel has a fascinating mixture of characters and insights into native American culture. As a native Minnesotan the facts of poverty in both urban and reservation Indian communities  were somewhat well know.  The sexual exploitation of girls from reservation detailed in the authors preface came as a shock.

The following quote from the aged Anishinaabe set the theme for my understanding of the book and has stayed with me since reading it.

"In every human being, there are two wolves constantly fighting. One is fear, and the other is love. The one that wins the battle? The one you feed. Always the one you feed."

Perhaps the author might have emphasized the majesty of northern Minnesota and the Lake Superior region where I have spent some of happiest days canoeing, hunting and fishing.  But then this was a “thriller” not a travel book and it’s ok…..

Aside from the book, I've been to the Apostle Islands several times, along Minnesota & Ontario's North shore many times since childhood and into the boundary waters canoe country as well.
There you can experience where water meets land and sky, culture meets culture, and past meets present. As I said the setting of land, people and history alone can entice me into reading a book.
 

13 comments:

  1. I'm right in the middle of "The Mascot," which seems to be a story that seems both fantastic and plausible. I look forward to the finish. Thanks for sending me in this direction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever come visit we will tour the res...it is an eyeopener. It is like a third world country just seven miles down the road.
    There used to be a Campfire Tale that my husband used to scare the girls and grands with it was a Windigo and "OH my burning feet" was said more than once. It was great campfire fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is a cool quote! You read way more books than I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how fast you gobble up a book, do you prefer hard copy or are you reading electronic? I tend to enjoy going through the newly acquired section in our library and finding treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would probably enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sexual exploitation is rife again, I'm afraid. Certainly in my country. It's all very worrying.

    The quotation is brilliant... I must copy that down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure I have this on my Kindle among the 300 I haven't read yet. Think I will go find it now and put it on top of the pile. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book... Maybe someone needs to make it into a movie...That way the beauty of the area would pop out for all of us...

    Learning to balance fear and love isn't easy... Sounds like the book did a good job of that...

    Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't heard of the author but I'll look into it. We also love the Apostle Islands. Such great beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was nice to get your local perspective on this book and I understand why you'd want more scenic details. I like hearing that Native American culture was part of a thriller. You might also like The Roundhouse by Louise Erdrich, which is a literary detective story set at a reservation. It has a marvelous sense of place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more reason to be skeptical of what you're fed, too.

    ReplyDelete