Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Plain Truth


As most of the readers of this blog know I’m pretty much into non-fiction these days tending toward history, biography and the occasional survival story.  This was not always so as I read the classics and many novels as a youth.  The recent death of the great English mystery writer P.D. James reminded me of all her wonderful books that I had so thoroughly enjoyed.  I decided it was time to find a good mystery.  Finishing up my semi-annual haircut I wandered next door into the Goodwill  store and found shelves of bargain books.  There I ran across  several by Jodi Picoult a name I was familiar with but had never read.  It was time to branch out….

Published in 2000 I started with Plain Truth.           Ellie Hathaway, a top notch defense attorney,  starts to question her work and relationships and returns to visit her Aunt Leda in the small town of Paradise, Pennsylvania.  She ends pulled into the case of Katie, an Amish girl, accused of murdering her newborn and she must find a way of working within a culture that is not her own. This plot got my attention right away as the area where I live has a number of Old Order Amish and the opportunity to learn more about their way of life seemed well worth the time.

Let’s be clear here, based on this sample of one Picoult is one heck of a story teller.  She draws you into the plot and you really want to know how it all turns out. Still by the time I finished I wondered if I’d been bamboozled.  Picoults clues that mislead are normal in a good mystery but here they are
 often factually contradictory. No thanks.  Then we toss in paranormal ringers about ghosts. Huh? The corker was a sideline of romance with gothic novel like choices like one love is bad but the other is good but she doesn’t know which is which. Spare me. Then  there is the lawyer protagonist who ends up living with the suspects Amish family because of a bail issue. Apparently believability doesn’t deter this author from jazzing things up to make a good story.  This book needed some serious editing on what should have been a good plot.  This brings me back to P.D. James.  When Phyllis Dorothy James, Baroness James of Holland Park, (3 August 1920 – 27 November 2014), known as P. D. James,  rose to fame for her series of detective novels starring police commander and poet Adam Dalgliesh the facts and description were accurate and believable.  I had read her
first book in the early sixties while still in college. Her last novel was published in 2011. I think I'll go back and read it....

 

18 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Picoult, but I did watch the movie the book you mentioned was based on. Haven't read any James books either. Used to read more in my younger years, but it's difficult for me now. Plus, reading blogs takes up SO MUCH of my time. At least I can enlarge the print on blogs, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read many Picoult books, but that is one I never heard of. She is usually a good writer and always has a lawyer in there somewhere. I guess I should read some P.D. James, although I'm not much of a mystery reader. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few of Jodi's books and enjoyed them. This one I haven't read.
    Did not read any of PD James but her recent passing and reading several tributes has me thinking I'll give her a try. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile! Semi annual haircut indeed! I am not fond of Picoult...she is a formula writer...pretty much in the league of those sweaty romance novels:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You give good reviews and lots of suggestions for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't take to Picoult either but I was sad to read of the demise of P D James since that means an end to any new books written by her. Still, I can always go back and read the older ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One finds favorites in this genre and as you did wants particulars set straight. That is what drew me to Jimmy Breslin, he was hard to put down. On Facebook a quiz wanted to place you as a character in the last book you read. Mine was on bird behavior so I left it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth George, Peter Robinson, Deborah Crombie and Louise Penny are mystery writers that might appeal. The first three are British or set in Britain, while Penny sets hers in Quebec, Canada. American mysteries are generally not the best in my experience although I do like Julia Spencer Fleming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also read this book and it was also my first by this author. I won't be inclined to read any more of her books. I totally agree with your review. Just finished reading "Some Luck" by Jane Smiley. No exciting plot but well written and a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Troutbirder -- good honest review. thanks -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree!! Thank you for the honest review.
    And thank you for the birthday wishes. I am back from my adventure, I hope to be back to blogging next week.
    Wishing you and your family a great Christmas.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your spot on review made me laugh out loud.. The multitude of books that need good editing these days is astounding and a bit discouraging. Makes me return to favorite authors in both fiction and nonfiction genres.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello There, I enjoyed your post today. Sometimes it's hard to find a good mystery --one which really holds your attention... Thanks for the review.

    Sorry I haven’t been around much lately. I do try to read blogs—but just haven’t commented very much lately like I usually try to do. Please don’t give up on me. Hopefully my life will be back to ‘normal’— whatever that is (ha), sometime in January.

    I did get a cortisone shot in my knee —which has helped with the pain somewhat. In January, I will most likely have meniscus tear surgery…. BUT—in the meantime, I plan to have a fantastic Christmas —and hopefully get to see my kids/grands… God is Good.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this one. Of the Picoult novels that I've read, My Sister's Keeper was my favorite. It's realistic fiction. She isn't my favorite author but her page-turner hot issue stories are best for a plane ride.

    ReplyDelete
  15. troutbirder, I love the thought of a semi-annual haircut! : - ) Your book review is better than many I read in the New York Times. Have a great weekend back there in "bluff country"! John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I could not quite picture you and Picoult being a match.. I have only read Sister's keeper in a cursory, gulping kind of way. You know, skipping ahead, not really savouring the book. Brilliant premise. Never been attracted to her because the plots always seem a bit melodramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good post, good review!

    I'm reconsidering my story idea about an evangelical Christian who joins the circus and learns it's a front for a Colombian drug cartel. I won't make him a midget.

    ReplyDelete