Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

Spring Emergers

In the springtime, the moment when the mayflies and caddis transform from their nymphal form and swim to the surface of the stream, is indeed a magic time for the trout fisherman. As  they struggle upwards, to flutter away, they are called emergers. This is the time for "wet flies" to be cast into the stream and lifted in imitation of the real thing. It is an a special moment




Tied by Troutbirder


It is also same time when other "emergers" appear on the spring scene. Here are a few:
Showy Orchis. A now rare native orchid of hardwood forests here in southeastern Minnesota. Thick basal leaves and small spurred flowers. The lip is white. Other petals and sepals are pink or magenta. About 6 inches tall. Photo taken in Forestville State Park 5/12/08














Another emerger is the skunk cabbage. Found along stream margins and on hillsides in seepage areas. It is one of the earliest plants to appear in the spring. Yes, the fruit has a definite smell. But it is the leaves that get your immediate attention. Their leathery shine, startling growth rate, and deep, fresh green color is a force unto itself. They seem to spring out of the soggy brown litter of the forest floor, Photo also taken in Forestville State Park





Emerging from the forest on a ridge high above the Whitewater Valley in Whitewater State Park is another early blooming native flower. The Pasque Flower is a member of the crocus family. Its delicate form is a sure signal that spring has arrived.
Emergers. You gotta love them as we emerge from our winter blahs as well.

20 comments:

  1. I saw pretty trillium yesterday, which are another emerge in spring. I love your pasque flower picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fishing for trout this week, Today I won't have any for breakfast as I have all week.Love those wildflowers coming back.Morels are out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are moving right along there. We're a bit behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody has their own sign of spring. for me it's Prairie crocus, Chipping sparrows and frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty plants, even the skunk cabbage has pretty leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the Marsh Marigolds in bloom by the trout stream down the road. So nice to see COLOR after a winter without!
    Happy Spring

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know you tie your own flies. You got me curious so I looked up skunk cabbage to see if it were edible. I guess parts are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this post interesting. I knew nothing about spring emergers. Nature has obviously eluded me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, what a great post. I love the pretty wildflowers. I am seeing a lot of the skunk cabbage around my area. If it would stop raining, I could go out and look for more. Happy Spring. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a youngster we had skunk cabbage out behind our house near a small brook. We always got a big kick out of the name !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is always a wonder time of reawakening. The mayflies I have never enjoyed. I can still hear the crunching as you walked on them at the end of their season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, nice fly!! That must be hard to learn how to do.

    I love to peruse the garden looking for emerging green under the fading and decaying leaves of autumn. There are also emerging blossoms which are a treat for the eyeballs too.

    One downfall..I found the remains of an emerging squirrel this morning. Apparently the hawk is watching for emerging critters. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always like to see the firsts in spring and that is one beautiful orchid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! So glad spring has finally reached you up north! Of course, seeing the flowers bloom is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for that, Sr T. I like how you put together photos from here and there according to a theme. Finding patterns, with the benefit of your always accruing wisdom. It sounds like a lifelong project.

    On the other hand, there are those gullible, gullible trout. It looks so alluring, yet you end up boiling in hot oil with your head chopped off. Tell me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to leave the heads on as in the high end eateries. Mrs. T. resists that concept though...:(

      Delete
  16. I haven't checked out the local forest trails yet, must do it very soon. Spring is bound to be springing there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing these photos of new life sprouting up all over. I have never seen the skunk cabbage before...it's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really appreciate nature! You remarked on the book, The Zookeepers Wife, which in my opinion is MUCH better than the movie. More honest. Try to get Stephen Bodio's book I just finished reading, Querencia about NM and his loving relationship with his wife. Guarantee that you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Troutbirder/flower/Nature Lover! I have tried to find skunk cabbage. I understand the how it received its name, but I would like to see it in person! I have bloodroot in my backyard and a Pasque flower hybrid. I have never seen the showy orchid. Something for which to look forward! Hope you are enjoying Spring weather!!

    ReplyDelete