Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Tricky Fingers

Back in the day when my first dog Max and I started upland game hunting, the pheasants and grouse had to fear my quick and accurate "trigger finger."  Max was what today they call a "designer dog" then known as a mutt. He was a Golden Retriever/ German Shorthair Pointer cross. He could flush, point, track and retrieve with the best...  That's my hunting buddy Rick to the right with his Golden....
Now a few years later having given up hunting due to a bum knee, a visit to our local clinic revealed a finger making a loud clicking noise, occasionally getting stuck and frequently quite painful.  The orthopedic lady doctor diagnosed it as a "trigger thumb."
Whoda thought, though she claimed it had nothing to do with my hunting career. Turns out relief came in the form of a steroid (cortisone) shot in the base of the thumb. And now since steroids are a no no my major league baseball hopes are gone as well.  Oh well.....:)
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Sad about your baseball prospects! That's quite a dapper hunting hat you are wearing in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a good looking designer dog and evidently had the best traits of both breeds.
    As slow as they are to catch the offenders, you could probably play most of the season. Hope the steroids work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grad you got some relief, Troutbirder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trigger fingers are no blast ... so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great hunting photo. Oh well....baseball can be overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer on the thumb. I've had a couple of cortisone shots in my foot for a neuroma. An unpleasant experience, but it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of those trigger thumbs before. Hope the shot makes it all better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! So did you have to teach Max to do all of that or did it come naturally? Likewise did the shooting come naturally or did he have to teach you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it surprising how hunting dogs are so lovable. I've heard of trigger thumbs but didn't realise it was a medical matter. I guess I thought it was the speed with which the thumb moved. Sad, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have gotten a lot of those shots and never got the muscles. LOL Hope it feels better. Had trout and morels for breakfast yesterday.mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to have mine surgically released, I have a scar. I believe I shared before how I splinted mine as it became so painful when it stuck...I said lots of bad words:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure if you just spit a lot on the baseball field, they'll never realise you've had the banned steroid shot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many years ago my husband and I bred German Shorthairs ... what a lovable dog. I can only imagine yours must have been extra special being paired with a Golden Retriever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about your hopes of a major league baseball career is gone because of your trigger thumb. Unfortunately I have many similar aches and pains (and lost hopes! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trigger finger, hmmm. How can that help you in your gardening?? Maybe a little percussion while you hum?? (sorry!) Hope you are having warm enough weather to enjoy Spring!!

    ReplyDelete