Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A Walk Around The Yard

It's mid May.  Spring time in southeastern Minnesota. Feels good with things bursting out all over.  Time for a walk around the yard.  The wildflower gardens and woods of our happy little two acres.....
We've already picked up a lot of twigs and downed branches and the tractor is ready for mowing. Fortunately, a lot of the grassy lawn has been replaced with wildflower gardens. It's less work in the long run....:)
Sticks but no stones in the fire ring. Time to burn.
I was reading a biography of Winston Church who was pictured constructing a rock wall  at Chatham during the height of WWII. Naturally, I tried to emulate him (note the low wall above). However, being retired, I was nowhere under the pressure the great statesman faced at the time....
Our little picnic area and table with houseplants moved outside to be planted.
Oak Hill Drive was a gravel farm road when it's first house was built in 1959.  Later we bought that house in 1970 and there were 7 houses in the neighborhood.  In 2002 we divided our property and built a new house in the woods next door to our old house.  A blacktopped road and over 30 houses now surround us.  We had changed from a little outpost to a nearby suburb of metropolitan Spring Valley whose population is well over 2,000.
A plank atop two sawed off stumps lies along a path around the clump of bleeding hearts. Lets rest a moment and then we'll take a closer look a some of the many flowers now blooming.  Next time!



11 comments:

  1. I love your wildflowers. What a great thing, to change a lawn to flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, how smart to cut down some of the mowing with wildflowers. I should do that.
    You really have a lovely piece of property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful garden It takes a lot of work to keep things in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks very restful. When hubby and I got too old to bother with gardening we turned part of it over to the wildlife. Didn't plant anything but wild flowers seeded themselves. I love it now. The flower beds are wild and beautiful.

    I didn't know Winston Churchill did his own labouring in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful yard. I admire your passion to create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Metropolitan Spring Valley, ha ha. I love the part of Minnesota where you live. My daughter was born in the hospital/nursing home in Caledonia. All the residents who were ambulatory were brought by our room to ooh and ah over the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done an amazing job. I love that you left so many areas with wildflowers ... look forward to the continuation photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. Your photographs so remind me of the flower gardens I had in Stillwater, Minnesota, for 38 years. The last three years there, I planted two rock gardens and they brought forth comments from all those who passed by my home.

    Your yard is lovely. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stand of Bleeding Hearts is awesome! Ours never last up here they eventually freeze out! Up here there were many twigs and limbs to deal with, I have mowed twice already :(

    ReplyDelete