Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, November 18, 2019

Retrievers

Over the years as a upland game hunter and waterfowl as well I had some great retrievers, there was Max the wonder dog, part golden retriever and part German shorthair. He could do it all including teach me how to hunt.
Next came Ben. He was a gentle giant who I could've easily saddled up. Of unknown origin he was very good  at flushing pheasants. He  could locate a scent and then  track the birds down. Which meant he was usually about a quarter of a mile ahead of me and well out of range.
Then came Chessie. She was a Chesapeake Bay retriever. Of course that meant I had added duck and goose hunting to my repertoire. She never missed returning a duck or goose to me out of the water. Pheasants were another thing though she could locate them flush or find them in a cornfield. Bringing them back though apparently wasn't in her contract. She would locate and then guard them till I arrived to pick  the bird up. All I can say on that point is it was easier to locate a dog than a dead bird in a corn field.
Her successor was Muffy, who was excellent in all phases of the hunting dogs duties. She was also a purebred Chesapeake Bay retriever. Why she was named after a cat I have no idea because Barb and our two boys assigned that job to themselves. And last but not least when I gave up hunting due to a bad knee we settled for a house dog. His name was Baron and the big guy was followed by our rescue dog Lily. They were both German shepherds a. K. A. Also known by Barb as German shedding dog's. They both were multi-purpose......................

16 comments:

  1. Those are terrific memories you have of your life with dogs. I can feel the love you had for each of them in your descriptions of each.

    Although I no longer have a dog, I still have clear memories of the joy that all of the dogs in my life gave me. I content myself now with Grand-dogs and how they make me so happy when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what each animal brings to our lives...and how we never forget them? Hunting/working dogs amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had your share, and I'm sure you have loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really had some grand dogs that filled your life and sometimes your refridgerator. Seems they were all specialized and now you have selected dogs who are companions. The only wrong dog is no dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dogs are amazing creatures who add so much to life. Glad to read about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT A LAVATORY RETRIEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing your stroll through your personal canine Hall of Fame. Sort of made me feel weepy for my own pups now in memory only. But the lavatory retriever brought me back to the present with an inelegant and much appreciated belly laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful overview of some wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to hear from you... amazing how many blog friends I have lost track of.... Hope you are doing well... I remember some of your retrievers as you have talked about them through the years. They bring us SO much joy... I need one to catch and get rid of about a gazillion chipmunks.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tat's quite a series of dogs that had great influence in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An enjoyable post. I only had two retrievers, so I envy you the good fortune of owning more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Golden Retrievers were not from hunting stock and had not one clue about retrieving. They loved to chase tennis balls, but simply dropped them rather than return them to us. Fortunately, we are not hunters so this was not a problem. My father had a series of great hunting dogs who could work a field and flush and retrieve. What a wonder to watch them seriously at work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dogs were a big part of our lives also. Pat Lily for me, I hope you and Lily are doing okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How to send bitcoin from the Binance account

    Do you know how to send bitcoin from the Binance account? If you don’t know the process and looking for assistance, you can always ask for inventive and accessible solutions from the skilled professionals who are there to assist you. You can take help from the team who is ready to guide you in the right direction via Binance customer support number. Talk to the experts who are going to help you out from unwanted issues with the approach of quality solutions.
    Website: https://bit.ly/2r0xzZS

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness, that Lavatory Retriever has me howling! Love the memories and descriptions of those talented dogs. My son-in-law pheasant hunts with a Brittany. My parents gave me a black lab-newfoundland mix puppy when I was a senior in high school. Needless to say, the puppy was really for them to cushion the empty nest when I left home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unable to withdraw forked coins|Binance toll free number

    Are you facing trouble because of withdrawal of forked coins in your Binance account? If you are looking for solutions to deal with such issues, you can always take help from the team who is there to assist you. To deal with such queries, you can always ask for help from the team who is there to assist you. You can call on Binance customer support number which is functional all the time for guidance. Take help from the team who is there to assist you and helps you in fixing error in no time. Get the best support from the team who is always there to guide you.
    Website: https://bit.ly/35CLJ2A

    ReplyDelete