Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Friday, July 21, 2017

Irish Scenes Finale

The final days of our Irish trip seem somewhat of a blur now and I didn't keep a very good record of the many interesting places we visited. Perhaps I was too enamored of our bus driver/guides blending of history and locations. Especially about the centuries of British rule, its consequences and the long division of the country into a Protestant North and a Catholic South with attendant strife. Our crossing the border into Northern Ireland was a day I well remember.  Our final 2 days in the Irish Republics capitol in Dublin was also a great highlight. 





The food and adult beverages in the Irish pubs were excellent.


























Indeed. Though we didn't "pass by" the Guinness brewery, their product found my favor ...:)

















One of Mrs. T's favorite venues and yes she did make several purchases in addition to the handmade wool sweater I bought at Blarney.















Being a flower gardener I was envious at more than one stop...





















It didn't take a lot of imagination to see how much our two parish priests (one from Rochester and the other from Spring Valley) enjoyed celebrating morning mass whether it was in small rural churches like this or in big city Dublin...


























 









 




And then on the last day in Dublin, I had to go to the library to check out a book.  The library was located in Trinity College.  The book was simply  known as The Book of Kells.
Going back to the ninth century this amazing collection of the Gospels, richly illustrated, survived Viking raiders and time.  Needless to say a world famous artifact couldn't be checked out but what a moment just to see it.  And Ireland too........

13 comments:

  1. This was a very busy trip with lots to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Troutbirder - Dublin is beautiful isn't it - and has benefited from being in the European Union. Wonderful pubs and food ... while the Library looks amazing - and yes those ancient tomes are such a delight to see ... the thought of enscribing something like the Book of Kells takes one back ... I'm glad you couldn't check it out!!

    So glad you had a happy time despite the weather - it's green tis Ireland! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for sharing your Irish visit. You have certainly revived a few memories for me. Dublin was my last visit and so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ancient book is truly beautiful and I too would love to have seen it. Glad you had such a good trip, TB. And thanks for sharing so much of it with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How special to see the Book of Kells! I've read a lot of history about St. Columba in Scotland, and been to Iona twice. It would be my main reason if I ever went to Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That library is amazing. Kind of sorry this trip is over. I sure have enjoyed it and thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good guide like that really makes a trip. I love the light in the photo of trees. You make me wish for another trip to the Emerald Isle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have always wanted to visit ireland. the gardens and landscapes are especially beautiful!! i always write in a journal or takes notes on my phone when i travel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks like a great trip. I paged back through previous posts and I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. - In particular, one Irish island where the movie's final. ... Ireland, a tourism site for the country, released a “Behind the Scenes” promotional video ...
    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete