Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, July 24, 2017

Me and My Windows Upgrades

A short dose of Troutbirder Wisdom revels his notion that "new and improved" isn't always so at least to us regular members of the Curmudgeon Nation.  A recent example would be the regular Windows update to our ancient Windows7 Home Computer.   In a word, it  caused the system to fail.  I am a  long time believer in the concept of "if it ain't broke don't fix it or buy a new and better one with more gadgets".  This upgrade was done without my permission and yes they broke it.  It was more than a month in the repair shop before it was finally determined that it was Microsoft's upgrade which caused the problem. I don't know if our computer guru  finally fixed it with help from Bill Gates and Co. or not.  I still had to pay the repair costs.  What followed was almost  as bad...............
WINDOWS: Please enter your new password.

USER: cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

USER:  boiledcabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

USER: 1 boiled cabbage

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

USER:  50bloodyboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password must contain at least one uppercase character.

USER: 50BLOODYboiledcabbages

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot use more than one uppercase character consecutively.

USER:   50BloodyBoiledCabbagesYouStupidIdiotGiveMeAccessNow!

WINDOWS: Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

USER :  IWillHuntYouDown50BloodyBoiledCabbagesYouStupidIdiot

GiveMeAccessNow

WINDOWS: Sorry, that password is already in use.

Arghhhhhhh.


 It's all about trust....:(
 

 

16 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Actually, I should be crying, not laughing, at the truth of this post. I am an Apple person and so very glad for it. It's not all fun and games here, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so recently in that position, and yes I HATE APPLE. Passwords are a bind, I'm sorely tempted to use the same one over and over. I had to have a new phone (apple) and now I find my photographs cannot be accessed by me, until I find out where on the phone Apple has put them. Nothing is straightforward anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post about a vexing problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough moving up, sounds close to needing a new system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Windows 7 and am hanging on dearly. I tried Windows 10 and quickly opted out but not with out losing Office forever.
    Cracked up at the password hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem and ended up buying a new computer. What a pain it all is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the new stuff works fine for the geeks but for the geezers it's a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi TB .. such a nuisance - good luck and I hope it sorts itself out .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very amusing. I can't help but think that just 15 years ago, no one would understand why this is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! Computers can be so annoying and infuriating, but they do all that neat stuff we can now not live without. I guess we're stuck with the annoyance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That made me chuckle, and it is indeed a constant issue, not to forget the fact that you have to remember dozens of other passwords for other things. Warm greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Troutbirder, I know how frustrating all the tech stuff can be, but honestly, your dialogue story had me laughing out loud and I'm still wearing a broad smile as I type this comment. Thank you! I so needed to laugh today. And I hope all goes well now with the program and the computer. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story Sr T. But I do feel for you. Even though you retired in the worker's paradise of Minnesota, have been prudent and have avoided paying out any large criminal fines and civil judgements it always hurts to part with the old greenbacks.

    Amazon.com owner Jess Bezos passed Bill Gates today on the World's Richest Person list and now I know why. And not to one up you, but speaking of password jokes:

    During a recent password audit, the company's information technology department discovered an employee was using the following password:

    MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento

    When they asked why such a long password, the employee said they were told it had to be at least 8 characters long and include one capital.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny, but too true about how our computers bully us for longer and stranger passwords.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update ... How much time is needed to download updates to my PC?
    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete