Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Foggy Rainy Day in Ireland


Returning to the Emerald Isle...


Day 3- Part 2
That afternoon we continued around the Ring of Kerry, seeing the spectacular Cliffs of Mohr. Basically it was so foggy and windy I took a picture of a picture inside the museum restaurant.







Still, leaving the Mrs. shopping (what else),  I ventured up and along the narrow path, above the cliffs. Although there had to be near gale force winds, I tried to follow another couple of adventurers, who were about a hundred yards ahead of me, on the path. As you can see  there was a plume of water streaming up and over the cliff. Kind of like a firemans hose. Getting wet from the rain was one thing. Getting doused by a blast of seawater was another. I turned back.

From there it was back to Killarney by going up and over the coastal mountains. The rain continued, abated very briefly, then resumed. Then as we gained in elevation a dense fog set it in . Not good.
Now let’s cut to the chase here. The roads in Ireland are, by Minnesota frost heaved standards and pothole abundance, very well maintained. They are, however, very very narrow with no shoulders at all. They also seemed characterized by an inordinate amount of curves.














On the point of mountain roads, Mrs. T is not too fond of looking over the edge, thousands of feet down as occasionally happens when we are in the Rocky Mountain West. Panic attacks are a problem. Thus, on this day, I had the window seat and she was working a Sudoko with careful attention never looking up.



As I looked out the window, searching thru the fog for a lake far below, I noticed a "safety barrier" on the edge  of the precipice consisting of small  rocks piled about 6 inches high. No shoulder. No real safety barrier, a rain slicked highway in the fog and what seemed to be an excessive speed given the conditions. We were about a  foot from the edge. Then it hit me. I’d seen the like of this before. It was watching the so-called "History Channel," whose newest hit then, among all its recent non- historical "reality shows" and schlock was "IRT: Deadliest Roads." The Ice Roads Truckers were now driving over the Himalaya Mountains on a road which kills about 400 people per year!. No, I don't have any pictures of my views out the window of the bus. I was too busy praying. And NOT thinking of Lisa who is allegedly the sexiest trucker alive.












Well,  as I mentioned one my initial post, the tour group consisted of  several Minnesota parishes of my spouses Catholic faith. Perhaps, it was the combination of  their prayers, our numerous visits to famous churches and shrines along with  our drivers 36 years of driving experience that we obviously made it safely back to our hotel. The Irish adventure would continue. 

15 comments:

  1. It would be a wonderful place to tour. The shore views are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to take a look at how some other people live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, Ireland as it really is. I smiled a lot whilst reading your description of rain-torn Ireland. I actually loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foggy photos are great even though you may have wished for something different at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll skip those roads, TB. They do look scary! I am enjoying your adventure from the comfort of my own living room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, we are back in Ireland again. Love it. That so called safety barrier seems to only be there to let you know that yes, you have indeed just driven off a cliff. I have a huge fear of heights. I'd have been missing the scenery also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That day fills fast with things to do, a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos are so Ireland! The fog appearing when you least expected or wanted it. Look forward to seeing more of the Emerald Isle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scary for sure. A few years ago we were on an Italian bus tour that took us up the Amalfi coast. After the third day or so I was finally able to look out the window, but never really believed we weren't going to end up in a pile of rocks far below.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day I'll go to Ireland, meanwhile I'll enjoy it and stay dry by looking at your photos of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Troutbrider, I remember once driving home to Stillwater from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport in a blizzard. I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me. I didn't know where the highway edge was. It panicked, but ultimately got home, my hands and body shaking. So I don't at all envy you that ride you described in the fog and the rain and the narrow road and the edge! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Troutbirder - if you live in these little islands ... it's a way of life - no worries, just drive ... the fog can be a wee problem. Just stunning scenery and I love the roads with the twists and turns - so much more interesting ... but that's me! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Foggy photos are great even though you may have wished for something different at the time.


    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even on a foggy, rainy day these monstrous cliffs are stunning. They rank amongst the top visited tourist sites in Ireland.
    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete