Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Those Were The Days

You can tell by the vintage of the school bus that the people in this picture must be pretty old by now. This is second grade, Mounds Park Elementary school, St. Paul, Minnesota. That's Troutbirder in the front row, right hand corner, with the little beanie cap on.... jeez mom how could you? My cousin Terry had sent me a notice of an Elementary School reunion and I guess it sent my brain cells off on a jog through memory lane....




There is Miss Amblers Kindergarten class down by the old wishing rock. My 1st cousin Prudy is front row far left and I'm back row center with the the suspenders. Obviously my mother was a fashion maven. Of course, I was first born so according to the psychologists got all the good stuff. Miss Ambler had been my fathers kindergarten teacher. Other names I remember were Miss Heim, Miss Holmen, Miss Searle, Miss Ahlstrom, and Miss Dahlquist. Plainly female teachers were not allowed to marry in those days. Yes, I walked six blocks to school, uphill both ways, as Bill Cosby says. Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end....





Here's a few more fashionista pictures from the "40's."

19 comments:

  1. I think I remember a Mrs. or two in my recollection, but they were mostly Miss. Not a Ms. amongst them, either. Great pictures, and I also really smiled at the third picture. You were adorable! Can't say that today, because it wouldn't be seen as a complement. But then, you were... cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays bring out good memories for me.A great set of pictures to share.I am surprised I can still recite a few names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you were too cute!

    funny, i had a 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Feister, that had also taught my much older father back in the day... she must have been ANCIENT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet photographs! Surprisingly enough, I remember more of my elementary school classmates that those in my high school class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most certainly a fashion statement with a beanie hat and then suspenders..I enjoyed all the old photos! I always had Mrs. something or another..rural you know..all the Miss teachers must have been looking for jobs in the big city:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that song is swirling in my head for the rest of the day! Yes those were the days my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, sweet photos. I love the fashionable clothing you were wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to look at old photos and take a walk down memory lane!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like Randy in The Christmas Story in the last photo. Haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures. I was in elementary school during that same time period, so the fashions are very familiar to me. I went to a two-room school throughout the elementary years, which was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On some pictures I have from that same time period, there was a date that the developer put on the prints. Helpful in sorting them when one's memories get fuzzy.
    I agree with your comment on my blog; Phoenix has few attractions for me, I'm finding the southern AZ desert interesting, but won't mind moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking us along for the jog down memory lane. It's good for the heart. I've always wanted to be a fly on the wall (or potato salad) at someone else's class reunion. I went to my 20th high school reunion and found it kinda boring. Same ol', same ol' as they say. Cliques hadn't changed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end" Great trip down your memory lane

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH my! You were the cutie. Gosh! I remember most or teachers being married.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun stroll down memory lane! Fun glimpses of the past in black & white too! :) This post total reads like a song from back in the day too...I can practically hear Archie Bunker belting it out w/ his dear/nervous wife Edith accompanying him in that ear piercing/glass shattering pitch of hers :) Thooooosee weeeeere theeeeeee daaaaaaaaaaaaays! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another benefit to blogging. Searching through the old photos, I've found that these teeny tiny prints--some of them an inch square--resolve beautifully when scanned, and I find things in them I never knew were there. You are aDORable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cutie! I actually like your mom's choices and you pull them off with that wide grin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really great photos that you shared. I hate to think I was close to the age of all of these shots.

    ReplyDelete