Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Washington & Jefferson Go Fishing

Reading voraciously has been a lifelong habit for me.  For enjoyment, knowledge, and sometimes retreat from the cares of life and the world.  Thus appalled by the news of the slaughter of innocents in Connecticut on Friday, I fled to Jon Meacham’s wonderful new biography Thomas Jefferson The Art of Power. I was as far as Chapter 23 Page240.  Thus –

“There was a late snow in New York in the last week of April 1790. Not long afterward President Washington became so ill that he was thought to be dying. By early June, however, the president was well enough to take Jefferson along on a fishing trip off Sandy Hook. Jefferson, ever practical and optimistic, hoped any seasickness would ”carry off the remains of my headache.” 

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people using guns. I wonder if these two founding fathers and the others who added the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution could see these type of  killings in modern America,  would they say “this is what we had in mind when guaranteeing citizens right to keep and bear arms?”  Loading a black powder musket would likely not allow someone to kill dozens of children in minutes much less seconds…..   It’s time to move on into the 21st century and deal with the problems we face now.  Are you listening Judge Scalia?  Probably not.

8 comments:

  1. I agree, times have changed. The second ammendment wasn't meant to address assault weapons in the hands of maniacs. We need protection for the innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and we need better ways to identify and deal with mental illness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Criminals will still have guns, regardless of laws. I'm sure they probably delight in the thought of law abiding citizens, becoming easier targets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I notice from those who resist any form of gun control with the old "Criminals won't obey the law...", "Guns don't kill people..." is the lack of any solution to the mass murders. I don't think we're going to change any facet of the 2nd amendment, let alone repeal it. I actually read someone who suggested we should arm the teachers.
    I doubt I'll even change one mind, but when the next one happens and innocent people are killed, at least I'll know I tried.
    The pro-gun crowd can just re-issue their same old apologia's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Judy. Mental illness needs some serious attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the assault weapons with large magazines that have no place in our society, if you ask me. We are all grieving and wondering if we can stop the next one. Thank you for this, TB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling Scalia is not listening as many are not. They are so convinced that they are right and the rest of us are wrong. And they view everything in absolutes...no restrictions at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the book recommendation. Duly noted. Much as I admire the little bits I know Jefferson's writing, my view of his life has been coloured by his relations to the Hemings family.(See Annette Gordon Reed, The Hemingses of Monticello) As a Canadian with a start in Europe, I am baffled by the attachment of USA citizens to their guns. It needs to be addressed, and so does mental health. One issue one rarely hears about when these things happen: the effect of SSRIs on some people. Murder/suicides have gone up since Prozac and its like have been introduced. They work great for others, this is not a blanket statement. More on this at the website of Dr. Ann Blake Tracy, who has been researching this issue for years. Another factor is the deplorable state of nutrition in the age of convenience foods and depleted soils. Oh heck. I think I'll go write a blog on it, :)

    ReplyDelete