Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nostalgic Camping

Here the sun is setting on the channel from the landing on beautiful Mantrap lake near Park Rapids, Minnesota. The lake is so named because of the myriad bays and channels where a man can get easily lost. A woman, of course, would ask for directions. The picture was taken on a vacation to the lake several years ago. Unfortunately, this year, we, along with friends Gary and Rosie, were plagued with rain, wind and cold. Thus, my hopes for some of the usual great fishing were dashed by the weather.

For a change of pace and on what turned out to be the only decent day of our trip, we decided to head up to Bigfork and visit Scenic State Park. For me this was a trip into fond memories. My parents had taken me and my little brothers camping many times to this beautiful park. That's me and my mom packing the car for one of those trips. Can you believe that hat? I think I was about 15 at the time of this picture. Yikes!

The park then and today is noted for great fishing and hiking trails. It was the first state park to be built by the CCC in Minnesota. It's lodge was considered to be a model for other project across the nation. Of course, we didn't know that then.... it was just a place for all the kids to hang out on rainy days. Much later Mrs. T and I also took our sons there for some of their first camping/fishing trips.

Naturally our first stop on this outing was to visit the lodge and the parks two campgrounds. Although much had changed, those long ago memories came rushing back. Those were the days my friends. Here we all are inside the famous lodge.

Another highlight of the park is Chase Point Trail. This esker or long winding ridge of sand and gravel divides adjacent Coon and Sandwich lakes. Come on along with us and take a look.




16 comments:

  1. Oh yes, those were the days. Isn't it wonderful to go back to those places and remember the fun so many years ago? Sorry about the rain messing up the fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget the hat, I'm digging the socks! Yosemite and its Ahwahnee Hotel hold similar fond memories for me. Unfortunately, my mom did not like camping, so I tagged along with my uncle and aunt for their annual Yosemite camping excursion. Last year was the first time I've been back in 25 years and the first for my husband. You and your sons were lucky to have such cool camping parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely park. I'd like to get there again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I LIKE that hat TroutBirder! Thanks for taking us along on a memorable visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my mind wondering back to the days my family loaded into the car and took off to the lake for week long camping trips. Oh what fun and yes, those were the days my friend....

    The last picture reminds me of my long walks in the woods of Germany. We took 10K Volksmarches often and have the rewards from those walks today! Glasses, Mugs, Steins, etc. Ah, those two were the days my friend....

    Love your neighbors! They look like wonderful neighbors to enjoy visiting. I would have them each named and give them treats LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like wonderful parks. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I do enjoy camping and hiking. These are great memories that you've shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiking, fishing and camping. Sounds like a pretty great place to me. Nice pics of the trail, going to have to add that place to the list. And I like the hat, but the socks up to the knees? well thats another issue..LOLOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Souncs like great fun. That picture of you and your Mom is priceless! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love the old photo! When you were at Mantrap you were maybe 16 miles from us..I always wondered about that name..now I know! I have never been to Scenic State Park..looks like a great place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat to be able to go back to somewhere you have spent time growing up. Looks like it is full of beautiful trails to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice post to read as I return after a summer away from blogging. Thanks for taking us all along!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You capture the light so well! It is beautiful. Cute old photo too – what a hat! Thanks for the walk in the woods. It is nice to revisit special places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! Love the old photo! The hat was indeed very stylin' and look at those knees between the shorts and the knee socks ~ love it! Looks like you had a wonderful trip ~ good for you.

    Have a happy day friend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice sunset shot. The park looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want that hat!-or maybe not. I love the old photo-just seeing things from a different era.That is my type of area-wouldn't mind spending some time there myself.

    ReplyDelete