Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Winter Road Trip

It wasn't a great adventure. It wasn't even a little adventure. It was more like a stupid adventure on the designated drivers (Troutbirders) part. The genesis began with the annual New Years Eve party.





Our guests, good friends Gary and Rosie, had arrived a few days early because of a threatened winter storm. The storm had somewhat fizzled into a day of fog, mist and then sleet. The next day looking to go outside for a "little fresh air" and a hike, we discovered sidewalks and streets with a veneer of ice. Senior citizens tend to be a little more cautious about walking on ice than average.
Still never one to give up easily, I proposed we all grab our binocs, hop in the 4 wheel drive truck and do a little "road birding" in a nearby state park. The goal would be to look for snow birds and hawks.











Things went quite well, on the sanded state highway, till I got the brilliant idea to take a shortcut through a wooded area with a gravel road. That road had often shown "snow birds" (horned larks, lapland longspurs and snow buntings) in the past. That day it showed mostly compacted snow and sheets of ice. I was doing well enough as we passed thru the beautiful woods, till I came to a short but fairly steep incline. I slowed down to avoid a barking dog that appeared from a nearby house. Big mistake. When I tried to speed up, to make the top of the hill, the wheels spun and then we began sliding backwards toward the ditch and a 15 foot dropoff. I had visions of the truck ending up upside down at the bottom. Fortunately, the roads edge had a snowbank, which we plowed into. Now the back end was stuck in a snowbank and I couldn't get any traction to pull out even with 4 wheel drive. Birding had never been so exciting! Grrrrr....
Assessing the situation.













All was not lost, however, as their were sand tubes (for weight) and shovels in the back
The mission now was to get the sand, for traction, under and around the wheels of the truck .... and hope for the best.
Getting ready to go..... maybe.
Luck was with us and we started up the hill. At the top there was a ninety degree dogleg to the left and a man standing in the road with his dog wanting to chat. Foolishly, once again, I stopped in the middle of the road. We talked for a few minutes and then I was unable to get going. And slid backwards stopping about 6 feet from his parked car. At which time, a road grader approached, blade down scrapping ice, slammed on his brakes and began sliding toward me.











At that moment, I was quite sure this was not going to be my day. The grader was only a few feet from my front grill when his tire chains on the back wheels gripped and enabled him to stop and then back up to go around me. Whew! Inspired, I was then able to get going and we headed off to Forestville Park. There across the valley, in the distance, Rosie spotted a rough-legged hawk. Just another exciting day here on tundra in Bluff Country.
Pictures taken by birder/photographer Rosie A.

18 comments:

  1. OK, so can I admit I was chewing my fingernails the entire time I was reading this? Stories like this put me into a panic as I can only imagine how I'd react. I am a Southern girl through and through. No chance of me EVER living in areas where it does this all the time. Nope, nosiree! Glad all was well at the end. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a tough trip. This is why my daughter made me get a phone, although I usually leave it home since I never carry it regular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, there's just no end to the excitement in your life, is there? I was sure you were going to tell us that the "Grader" slid into your pickup. Glad you got out of it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it ended well. I've been in similar situations so many times, having lived on a steep hill for the past 30-some years. Is it true you can't have snow tires in Minnesota? I would never be able to get home (or up a similar steep hill to work) without my snow tires, Not studded tires, just good tread designed for ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering what Mrs. T. was muttering to herself during your trek??? You are a brave soul my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life is never dull. I think I would just stay home and use my binoculars to look through the windows of our house. But I do admire your sense of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very nice of you to drop by and leave a comment. Nice to meet you and I see we have some blog friends in common! I enjoyed this post very much. You all are a lot more adventurous than I am! Here in GA, we got snow last Sun. and we are still trapped at home; our driveway is uphill and a solid sheet of ice! I'll follow along and be back to visit soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And this is why, when I moved to the San Francisco area and friends back East would ask if there was a winter sport there I'd answer "Yes.... gloating...." Glad alls well that ends well but take it easy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! I must admit that, seeing the predicament you've shared, I got stuck in our friends' driveway yesterday!! Not nearly as scenic... but a very helpful fellow happened by (who was driving a pickup with a snow blade on the front) and gave me some very appreciated help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, all this in one day or 1/2 day of birding AND you took photos of all the "maybe", "couldn've happened" scenarios. I was waiting to hear that your vehicle did go down the 15-foot embankment. Well, no need for any more aerobic exercise tonight! Thanks for the workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't want to stereotype, but it seems it's always the men who get these great ideas about venturing out into the unknown when the women probably would rather stay at home, where it's safe.

    Must be the explorer gene you guys are born with. ;) Glad everyone is okay -- including your vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew! Nothing like a little action on the ice to kick the old ticker into high gear! Maybe you should consider putting a winch on your bumper. My husband's former business partner (when we lived in the Midwest) used to make extra money in the winter by pulling vehicles out of ditches with his winch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you were prepared and had tubes of sand and a shovel! What a great adventure..did you get a photo of the hawk? If we Minnesotians were not a bit adventurous we would never go outdoors from November till April.

    I was sorry to read your comment about your son..it has been twelve years..he was so young and I am sorry. Condolences to Mrs. Troutbirder too..it cannot have been easy for either of you.:( Connie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh winter....isn't it grand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that it doesn't matter how deep the snow it, it is just getting one wheel with out traction and all the movement stops. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh hon! Be careful! (Love the photo of the snowy woods, btw. Very nice!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. As that grader was heading towards me, this old-timer would have learned to run again--FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when nature does its painting like on the trees on that gravel road.

    Almost makes winter seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete