Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary

Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary is owned and operated by the National Audubon Society. It was established to protect the largest remaining stand of ancient bald cypress left in North America. This process of saving the stand began in the 1950's, although protecting the wading birds that nested within the swamp had been going on the early part of the 20th century. The sanctuary is on the mainland north and east of Naples, Florida. It has several different ecosystems and thus different habitats for the birds, plants and animals who live there. Come on along as we take a look at some of highlights of our visit to Corkscrew.

We followed a 2.25 mile boardwalk. At a slow walking pace it should take you about 2 hours. We took about 6 hours, which would be a clue as to how many interesting sights there were and the number of photos we took
An almost eerie feeling settled over us as we headed into a forested swamp. An occasional bird call sounded in the distance, then we heard something akin to a roaring bellow of a giant "frogosaurus." Just kidding. Is that an alligator we wondered? We didn't know for sure. What else could sound that big and dangerous?
OMG! There's one right next to the board walk! "Not to worry dear," I cautioned Mrs. T. He's headed the other way." Actually, I think gators and cats have a lot in common. They look like they sleep a lot but probably are ready to pounce at a seconds notice. We soon entered a drier more wide open area and birds began to appear all around us.
By far easiest to spot were the painted buntings. As a matter of fact we saw four of them. Leaning over the railing people would stop to see what I was looking at and then pronounce it to be a fake..... till it moved. "Oh my," was a typical reaction. Or, "it looks like it was pained by an artist." All I could think of was "WOW."












The place was also a photographers dream. Many of the birds seemed tame enough to reach out and touch. My little point and shoot camera, for once, seemed up to the job. I suppose seeing lots of people on the boardwalk each day made the birds less wary..... like the red shouldered hawk who posed right above me.
Or this little blue heron, who foraging alongside the boardwalk, I could almost have bent over and touched.
Nearby were several of the much larger Great Egrets.

At about 10 a.m. the crowd began to thicken but the people remained quiet, almost reverent, in this amazing place.













A shy wading bird called a limpkin stood almost hidden among the reeds. Look for the brown stripeing on the breast. I notice another little blue heron wading in what the sign called the "lettuce lakes." It was then that I realized the plants the bird was tromping thru looked familiar. It was something which I usually bought at our local nursery to put in my goldfish pond. Small world!












We saw some familiar species as well, like this tufted mouse, cardinals and even a pileated woodpecker
There were other birds and beautiful plants and flowers, butterflies and strange insects and amphibians. I think to best describe Corkscrew, I would say it was a place of enchantment. At least it was to me. Perhaps, I can talk Mrs. T into going back there again some day

14 comments:

  1. Sounds so amazing. That "rainbow" painted bird is very unusual. I would enjoy visiting a place like too. I agree - enchantment sounds like the perfect description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - believe it or not, we've never been there, but it's going on the list for the next trip, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place, I would have been in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place, TB. But, I could do without the alligators.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually love the gator pic! I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take me with you! It's a place I've wanted to visit.
    Love that last photo of you!

    My word verification: notrout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post! Your description and photos make me feel like I was right along beside you two. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us along with you on your visit to Corkscrew Swamp. your photos are excellent. The Painted Bunting does look as if someone had painted it. I don't think I've seen a more colorful bird. I wouldn't mind missing the alligator, however.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day! Just to be out in the warmth would be great..I liked all the birds..but I would have passed on the Alligator:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! I am so jealous! Painted Buntings! OK, all who think that Mr. and Mrs. Troutbirder just need to move down there and get out of the cold, raise your hands. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm jealous of the painted bunting. We have them around here (at times...allegedly,) but I have yet to see any. <:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. What camera gear do you use, lense size? Thanks, BlueSky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the great pics and the DD story. Boy Scouts used to have some sort of special DD patch--can't recall just what it was for but it was very attractive, saw a few traded around back in my BS leader days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful place! You've certainly talked me into making a trip there.

    ReplyDelete