Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa!

Mea culpa is a phrase in Latin that translates into English as "my mistake" or "my fault". The origin of the expression is from a prayer of confession of sinfulness, used in the Mass, of which the first evidence date from shortly before 1100. However, that’s not when I was born.
It appears that I have been carelessly spreading false information on my blog, in the form of misidentifying several birds. While it is true that I live in the only county, in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes (Minnesota), without a lake and rarely see wading birds, I do have a Peterson Field Guide. Really, no excuse for missing the fairly obvious. Several people, including Hap Huber of New Hope, Minnesota, spotted these incorrect I.D.'s on my recent posts, of our visit to Florida. The most egregious of these mistakes surrounded the elusive and very tricky immature yellow crowned night heron. I did get the adult version correct on one post, but labeled the immature one I saw at Ding Darling "some "kind of yellow legs" (wrong) and then at Corkscrew a "limpkin" (that wasn’t even close) .
First, the alleged "yellow legs." Then the fabled "shy limpkin" hiding in the weeds.
Sorry, its not a limpkin. It is an immature yellow crowned night heron. Here is the correct version of a limpkin, Mrs. T. photographed in the same place a year ago.
That year, I did better, with a program in hand, correctly identifying the Twins in spring training at Fort Myers.
Earlier, during a morning walk, I saw a bunch of white egrets on a golf course and sitting on condo rooftops. Great egrets, I assumed. Wrong. They were cattle egrets. Take a look.

Apparently a yellow beak and legs were a clue here.
Finally, an actual, breathing. yellow crowned night heron taken at Ding Darling this year.
Well, folks, treading when none have dared to have gone forth before, I will finish this post up with a few more pictures. These have never seen in this space previously and have been meticulously identified with Peterson, Sibley and a well thumbed Golden at my side. Corrections may be easily made by joining the people waiting in line at the "comments" section below.


An endangered wood stork in the ditch at Ding Darling NWR. A black crowned night heron, also from Ding Darling.


Some mottled ducks cruising by.
And so, Woody the Pileated Woodpecker, says.....
THAT'S ALL FOR NOW FOLKS!

28 comments:

  1. Regardless of the names, of which I seldom remember, I have thoroughly enjoyed the amazing photos you have shared from your trip. We don't travel very often and blogging is a great way to see the world! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... you were braver than me... I'd have simply said, "Uh, another shore bird" and let someone else attempt the ID! I am world's worst at ID on those water loving birds. Like Mildred said, regardless of the ID, the photos have been quite enjoyable and we appreciate your taking us along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are okay. Just keep taking pictures, writing and trying to identify. Most birders are very kind and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the bird police turned you in, did they! Bummer.

    You still know tons more than me when it comes to identifying birds -- so your id's are okay with me. Just keep taking those photographs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are forgiven my son.I have to see them numerous times to remember, or keep a log.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah..I enjoyed all your photos..and I wouldn't know the difference if you were in error. Seems like a tiny error anyway ..an Egret is a Egret. And the immature birds..well that takes an expert. Now don't be making any flower identification mistakes..or the flower police (of which I am a member in good standing) will be out with the bird police. We all make mistakes..I make them all the time..but I know that I struggle with being totally accurate all the time too..and it is impossible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny to see that Pileated Woodpecker on a palm tree:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photography!
    I, too, have been birding a while... tho I don't claim anything close to your expertise. And I still get thrilled by the simple things, a few bright yellow patches appearing on a papa goldfinch as he starts to get his spring colors... or that flash of blue when an indigo bunting flits by - takes my breath away.
    My days of doing marsh birds is long gone... I'll let you do them for me! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed all of your pictures (including the new ones on this post). If I issued a mea culpa for mistakes in my posts I probably wouldn't be able to post about anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you know so many birds with so many subtleties it is amazing to me you were able to identify any birds since you don't even have these birds where you live! I enjoyed seeing them all regardless of their names.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe everything you say, whether it's true or not. lol Just keep on posting, that's the important thing.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful blog you have, love your photos. Is that your german shepherd?...I will be back for more reading and viewing. Have a good week...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even the best birders make mistakes, hon. Fortunately we're a forgiving bunch. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Couple of things... I think you would greatly enjoy a book called "How to Be A Bad Birdwatcher" by Simon Barnes, it is delightfully irreverent (warning: it may lead the reader to a lifelong habit of shouting "Oh look a seagull!")
    Second re your comment on my blog about libraries: here in our rural and cash strapped county, the library is open Tues, Wed, Thurs and Sat and has 2 paid staff - volunteers do all the rest. Very sad. We still get some new books, largely from support of Friends of the Library and such, plus interlibrary loans from other counties are common. The book I recommended on the history of the OED was published in 2007 so may be worth looking for at your local.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a wildlife observer, I can see how easy it is to misidentify birds. The books all show different features and some birds are not so easy to quickly ID . When they are in your backyard and you see them daily, you will notice the features. Not so easy with a quick glance in another region though. I was trying to id a bird high in the trees of our front woods the other day and I told my hubby, I need a pair of binoculars around my neck at all times as my eyes are not so great any more…

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do your best, and that's what counts, I think. If the birding police don't like it, then tough Toucan! Next time you visit Florida, you should consider coming in early March to our neck of the woods. It's the best time of year to go traipsing through the woods and swamps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blog! Trying to ID immature birds you don't know well can be a real pain--but at least you got to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As one who routinely mystifies (and amuses) birder friends with my crazy misidentifications, I am VERY sympathetic. I've taken to muttering "LBB" and letting it go at that...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only good thing about not having time to read blogs lately is the fun of playing catch-up. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heh...been there & done that, too. It's always nice and edifying, though, when someone in the know can correct your IDs without excoriating you in the process. I've really enjoyed your bird pix.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have misidentified birds on my own blog....without meaning to, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know, the thing that surprises me the most about growing older is the realization of just how wrong I can be....confounds me regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Typically, I survey a bird up and down and memorize eighteen things from beak to throat to eye stripe and then I look it up in the book and it doesn't exist. In this manner I have personally discovered scores of new species, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how wonderful. You've discovered The Ding. We didn't make it this year. Life gets crazy.

    Had to smile over your bird mix-ups. Those dang birds have had me flummoxed for years.

    I'm always trying to create a snowy egret out of the immature little blue heron.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Been there and done that - fairly recently myself and I really should have known better. But, hey, everyone makes mistakes.
    Actually, you will probably become a better birder as you will closely look at and verify all bird photos from now on. Please don't stop posting the pix and supplying all your wonderful commentary and stories. Your blogs are joys to read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photos are amazing, TB, and I appreciate your efforts to ID all the varieties of birds correctly. And I loved reading about your visit down here to Florida--well, south and west of us a ways. Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary sounds--and looks--like a magical place. I am adding it RIGHT NOW to "my places to visit" list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It matters not to me what the names of the birds are but if you would be so kind as to send some my way (once it warms up that is) I would sure appreciate it!! :)

    I am awaiting the first Robin of spring.... but as it is supposed to snow here for the next 3 days (groooaaaann!) I suspect I will not see one soon.

    Take care friend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a friend that told me my honesty about amending my mistakes was admirable. So I live my life amending all that is true to be truer.

    ReplyDelete