Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Arches

When Roman engineers used concrete and their famous arch to throw bridges across streams and mighty rivers, their armies and trade followed apace. This limestone bridge built in the 1860's near Stillwater Minnesota echoes that classical era.
Here in southeastern Minnesota's "Bluff County" a similar two arch bridge spanned the South Branch of the Root River. Unfortunately I NEVER thought to take a photo of it. Atop it appeared as nothing but a gravel township lane.  In the water,  both upstream and downstream, we trout fisherman called the stretch "by the arches". It's also Mrs. T and my favorite area  to walk Miss Lily...... Take a .look!
You might imagine my shock just a few years back when I approached my favorite trout fishing spot to see that "the arches" bridge had been replaced by a boring concrete structure. It's still an idyllic setting from streamside and the fishing is still very good...... but it takes a little more effort now to daydream a bit about Roman arches.  But there was the time when I and group of high school students were in Rome looking up at the Coliseum and.........
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the loss of your structure, to be replaced by boring concrete! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic area to explore, get the net!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. I'm taking pictures of all the open area around here before it's nothing but golden arches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live near an arched bridge that has a highway traveling over it. I can see them removing that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's something to be said about the strength and simplicity of arch bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Updating with modern materials doesn't have the impact the old bridges had. I remember seeing one old, beautifully constructed bridge torn down and replaced by uninteresting iron. We seldom visited the area after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a bit of synchronicity. Look at my post today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts indeed, and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad it is gone but I bet you imagine it there when you walk along the bluffs. I lived in Caledonia when one daughter was born. Why, we were practically neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, now how is that better. When I see an arched bridge and know how long they have been in existence, I can't help but wonder what made that first bridge builder decide that would be a strong solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing them in Italy, some literally hundreds of feet off the ground spanning a canyon with a viaduct. Remarkable.
    Banished? Of course not, TB. it's still http://memoirsofacardiopulmonaryguy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not convinced newer structures are always better either, TB, and it's definitely true that old buildings and bridges etc. give us a sense of continuity.

    That is a very beautiful area for walks or fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is indeed a lovely spot. Sorry the arches are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great place to walk even though it's changed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bummer about the arches. I am always so sad when old structures are replaced with newer "better" versions. They rarely are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Newer isn't always better! Good to see you and Mrs T out hiking! :)

    ReplyDelete