Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Part two- the emergency room




Mrs. T. had been in and out of the psychiatric building numerous times in 2018. This was  mostly because of off a rapid decline in her dementia/Alzheimer’s after almost 10 years of slow decline following her initial diagnosis. The struggle of maintaining a semblance of our normal life then centered around things beyond memory loss. That began to include episodes of dangerous wandering, and finally going beyond frustration to anger, agitation, assaults and extreme violence. Weeks of what she called the lockup or prison were intended to find medications that would control or limit those behaviors. For those of you who may be unaware of all this there are stages of this awful disease but in the end every victim can be different. My mom  who also had Alzheimer’s simply, quietly faded away. For many the ride is often like a roller coaster things get worse, then temporarily they get better and so it goes.  the last time Barb came home after three weeks of treatment I still had hoped for respite. The next morning she had relapsed once again. After three days and little sleep a friend called and asked me how I was doing. I replied with a single word,” horseshit”. He said " I’ll be right over and take you and Barb to the emergency room. It was 30 miles away. I planned to sit in the back to try to keep Barb calm and prevent any aggressive behavior towards our friend the driver. She wouldn’t do it. Of course, because of the nature of things the caretaker is often perceived in these moments  as the enemy. She sat in front than next to the driver.

I was quickly reminded when our boys were small and not feeling well we often took them for rides. They had a calming effect. That’s exactly what happened in this case. Upon arrival at emergency in the big city we were quickly signed in and told to wait in a large waiting area. There must’ve been over 100 people waiting in this area as well. It was then I happened to notice a very large sign proclaiming the mission of the clinic and its hospitals. The large words stated …… The patient comes first.

After a relatively brief wait two women approached us and said “hi Barb, it’s time to go see the doctors.“Then Barb stood up looking quite peeved saying ”I’m not going anyplace to see those F$%(@ing doctors. They’ll put me in a nursing home!" And so it went and a large audience grew due to all the excitement.  Finally I was told she could not be admitted since she didn’t agree to the plan. I pointed out she had been there in the hospitals psychiatric lock up three days before and perhaps they could call that department and get her admitted. That couldn’t be done either but it was suggested that I call the Police Department and they could presumably bring her in to see the doctors. I suggested this was absurd and I wasn’t going to call the police. I actually thought of calling the local newspaper but then remembered I had never read an article in  paper that criticized the world famous local clinic/hospitals for anything.

Then a break occurred which included the two nice ladies saying they would have to check with their supervisor. They did. Shortly thereafter, a gentleman in suit and tie approached me in a calming manner and repeated the usual excuses and bureaucratic jargon to which I responded in a somewhat loud and agitated manner which I will not repeat here. And the audience grew. This was good. Eventually I put my best smile on and leaned a bit towards him saying ”Sir,
 I might have a solution to your problem” “Mmmm” What ?  Perhaps your people could bring out a wheelchair and set it in front of me and my wife.. I will sit in the chair and if they happen to mention it’s possible this guy could be having a heart attack….”  Ok that’s not good but I was desperate. So it happened that is I sat in the wheelchair which Barb quickly grabbed and pushed me down a hallway and into the emergency room. Where I suggested they break protocol and call Dr.*&^%   in the psychiatric building.   15 minutes later he appeared and took Barb back to psychiatry.   Three weeks later with another round of different meds Barb was moved to memory care in the same city where I visit her each and every day, sleeping well at night myself knowing she has a new and safe home. Our operating motto remains Were still a team, and we keep on trucking.
Protecting your reputation is a key to the reputation of many a big bureaucracy.
Next: memory care lays down the law -part three a bureaucratic basics

15 comments:

  1. It's a miserable process where the patient never gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a situation that many of us are or will face eventually, whether it be the patient or the caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ray - I do so feel for you ... and though it is so very difficult for you - it's good for us to learn more about Alzheimers ... though such a ghastly disease. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ray
    So sorry to hear all that you have been going through. It's a crying shame that life has to take these turns. I had always hoped to come across you guys on our travels. You've always given me great travel ideas through your blog.
    I wish you the very best. You two deserve so much better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right abut bureaucracy. That was such an insane situation that those involve should have also been admitted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a trooper Ray, seeing that Barb gets good care. How frustrating to have to fight for healthcare...I understand...and some Drs are idiots too which doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your description of the process makes me shudder with dread and hope that I never have to face this situation with my spouse or other family members. Or worse, myself. Good for you taking charge like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly have been put through the wringer. My cousin became the violent type so I know a little of what you were dealing with.
    So glad you have found a situation where Barb is safe, cared for and you get some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo for your creativity in dealing with bureaucratic inflexibility. I had dear relatives who went through this disease themselves or were caregivers for parents or spouses. Nothing about the experience is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an ordeal. You were clever to find a solution and get Barb what she needed but what a toll it must have taken on you to have to go through that. My family went through this with my grandpa and it was hell. I was hoping by 2019 things had gotten a little better but it doesn’t seem that that is so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so frustrating to be dealing with a wife who needs care and the people who are supposed to be delivering it. It is a pervasive problem and I'm so sorry it has made your life more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have my deepest sympathy. I am glad that Barb is getting the care she needs, but obviously it is taking a toll on you. Do take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! That was absolutely brilliant.

    I love your "We're still a team, and we keep on trucking." Andy and I are a team too. My saying is, "Doing the best we can with what we have left."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Ray... how well I know the feeling, though mine is autism and not Alzheimer's Disease. I was reading an old blog of mine, and saw a comment from you, which prompted me to stop by and see how things are in troutbirder's world. I am sending all warm hugs your way my friend. You have walked this path with such grace and love. xo

    ReplyDelete