Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Adventure Into The Canadian Wilderness (Part I)


Well this true story and adventure has been around the block before. And for us bloggers who chose not to Facebook or tweet or whatever,  not to friend and defriend and tell lies and distortions. It's all good.. This particular story leads me back to my blogging beginnings more than a thousand posts ago. Back then when people encouraged me to continue telling stories I did
After Mrs. T's decade-long struggle against Alzheimer's ended in September. I had resolved upon the "new normal"which included renewing old friendships , book reviews, travel and making new friends and hobbies like coloring books . Well I am also the only male member of the Spring Valley ladies book club. The fact though is that my future adventures will be considerably more sedate. Approaching the "new 70"climbing mountains, fishing in powerful trout streams in grizzly bear country etc. etc. will be in of the past. Buying a new and improved camera hopefully but not likely in October you will see some close-ups I have taken of polar bears in Churchill Ontario. I write that because it's our pandemic leaderless as it is is far far worse than Canada or Europe. The borders are now closed to us in all of those
        So now for both new and old followers of this blog let's venture into the Canadian wilderness of years ago and really have a true story. Of danger and adventure. To be certain, the following  story occurred when I young and foolish. Unbeknownst to me, at the time, my young wife, showing more sense than me, and with our first child and a home mortgage in hand, took out a large short term life insurance policy on me and said somewhat skeptically, "go for it tiger."

 Part 1: LaBatt versus Molson (Mid 1970's)

 It was one of famous author Cliff Jacobson’s books on wilderness canoeing that led one of my younger brothers and me to believe "we can do this." We were experienced canoe campers in the semi-wild Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northeastern Minnesota’s Arrowhead Country. "This" was a two man-expedition into the true wilderness of Ontario, north of Lake Superior. We were sure it was not beyond our abilities and experience. The deciding factor was that it was a "loop" route which we would be paddling. No roads, no people and no cell phones in those days in case of serious accident.... you were on your own. A loop route meant we would make a giant arc for more than a week, through a chain of lakes heading north, and then enter the Steel River drainage, completing the circle south to our starting point. Neat idea we thought.

The plan was to drive from the Twin Cities and cross the border into Canada. Then follow the highway, along the northern shore of Lake Superior, till we came to Terrace Bay, Ontario. Here we would get permits and some maps at the local Ranger station and then proceed about 16 miles east to a turn-off heading north a few miles to Santoy Lake. The Rangers told us what they knew about the root but pointed out while we were not the first to explore the route we were close to it and the map they gave us was very sketchy.
I mislabeled the old slide as Steel Lake. I'm on the dock at Santoy 
We arrived at  Santoy early in the evening, and checked out the landing.
It didn’t amount to much but canoes don’t need much either. Santoy was a beautiful lake which stretched north into the distance for more than 12 miles. It would be  some distance  to find our first portage along the western shoreline. We had been warned by the Ranger (among other things) to keep a sharp eye. None of the portages were marked. We headed back to the van for a sandwich supper and intended to turn in early as it had already been a long day and drive. As dusk settled around us, a number of pickup trucks began to arrive down by the lake. Soon a bonfire appeared and much laughter and shouting ensued. Of course, we had to investigate.

It was the Friday night gathering of local pulp mill workers. Discovering that we were Americans, they felt it incumbent upon themselves that they should offer us several choices of  beer. It was Molson or Labatt’s.

As the evening progressed it became apparent to us that one of the most vital controversies facing the Canadian nation, at that time, was the relative merits of each of these fine brands. As the discussion on this sudsy issue became more heated it occurred to me that, at some point, we (the neutral Americans) might be drawn in to "settle" the argument." "Not a good idea," I thought.

I was able to turn the discussion at a few points to the question of fishing along our planned route. Some advice was given but the name of the "Diablo Lake portage" appeared frequently and even ominously it seemed to me. Pleading an early start in the morning, we managed to escape (beers in hand) from further heated argumentation. A "devil" of a portage, they said. How devilish could it be we wondered? We were soon to find out.
To be continued…..


35 comments:

  1. A saga! It sounds like this will be fun, TB. I'm already enjoying it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, can hardly wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all seemed pretty tame until I Googled "portage." Now I sense there may be issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this must have been fun...or terrifying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - And how did all that work out for you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray Canada! Hooray Molson Canadian (67)... a gal has to watch her waist line. ;)

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why does "young" and "foolish" and "beer" always meet? LOL!
    Looking forward to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do love "to be continued"....on the edge of my seat for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I like the picture of you and your wife. Second 'like' is this story. I foresee great adventure and can't wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Canada Eh!!! looks wonderful so far, keep posting, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ....oooh...can't wait for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love a good cliff hanger ( well actually I get rather excited and want to know as soon as possible ~ ha ha) can't wait to hear "part two " !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love a good cliff hanger ( well actually I get rather excited and want to know as soon as possible ~ ha ha) can't wait to hear "part two " !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to the next installment of this story. The Devil's portage...sounds ominous. BTW, I vote for Moulson's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very fun...and you left us on a cliff hanger. :-)
    Can not wait for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like this could get interesting... always love a good summer story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is leading me on -- I will be back for more -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love an adventure! Hope you are over your coughs/cold or are at least getting better:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to go to Canada so bad. I only zoomed through one time on my way back from Alaska. Sigh. One day I will.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And looking forward to more!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adventure....looking forward to more to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This seems semi familiar. I think you'd find us much more eclectic now. When I drink, which is not often, I usually go for Alexander Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, you Should make a book!! And I love that your Mrs. T said, "Go for it, Tiger!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm kind of late reading this which is good for now I don't have to wait to find out. Off to part 2 now and find out about Diablo Lake portage.
    Loved Mrs T's plan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Started with your latest post but decided to skip down to Part 1. Glad I did. I think this chronicle is just going to get better and better, well worth making into a book for posterity. Now on to Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a sweet picture of you and Mrs T. Wise woman indeed. I started reading at part 4 and was relieved to find out eventually that this adventure took place some decades ago! I am behind, been too busy playing farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah, memories ... how well I remember those days. Thanks for being part of the blogger world for me Ray. We "old timers" have so much to share.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You wife taking out “A large short term insurance policy” made me laugh. Part 2 will tell us why.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This has all the makings of a good story.Keep on paddling, portaging, whatever it takes. We're listening...

    ReplyDelete
  30. :) Love these wilderness stories! Hope you and Lily are both well!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your canoeing stories and I love canoeing in Canada. I was lucky enough to spend lots of time in the Quetico PP on various trips as a young person. My dad and I built my first canoe — a small wooden frame, fiberglassed in blue. It weighed a ton but I loved that thing! Looking forward to the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Ray, for months I've been absent from blogging because of vision issues. So today, I return to your blog to discover a story of at least 5 parts. Here I am now at the beginning, ready to return next week for Part #2! This into to your camping/fishing adventure in Canada just pulled me in. Back in the 1980s, a Missouri friend came each year in september to Stillwater and she and I drove to one of the state parks in Minnesota and camped for two weeks. We did this for 10 years. Our favorite came was Gooseberry Falls, which you probably passed as you drove north all those years ago with your brother. I'm so looking forward to following your adventure.

    By the way, do you read the fiction author from Minnesota--William Kent Krueger? He has a series about Cork O'Connor that mostly takes place in northern Minnesota. One of his recent books, "Manitou Canyon" took me from one lake to another up in the Boundary Waters and into Canada. If you haven't read it, you might enjoy it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete