Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, January 31, 2021

The private patient

 

The private patient by British crime fiction author PD James. I began reading her mysteries when I was in high school along with other British and French writers that genre. Many of whom were then more famous. She reached much higher in the English social caste’s becoming a baroness and kept on going till she died at age 94. She is best known for her fictional detective Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard. Okay I’ll admit it from the first time I met this Renaissance man he was the man I wanted to be like. Cool and collected and a poet at that..... 

The private patient is the authors final book Dalgliesh series. It begins with a snobby woman named Rhoda Gradwyn  a muckraking London journalist. But she   is about to enter an   clinic for the well to do.  There a top-flight plastic surgeon, Mr. George H. Chandler-Powell, will at long last remove a scar from her face.

 

“Why now, Miss Gradwyn?” the doctor inquires. “Because I no longer have need of it,” she answers, offering no further explanation. Hm.

 

Several weeks later the surgery is performed at the doctor’s picturesque clinic, which is located in the grand old Cheverell Manor in Dorset. The operation is a success. And then Miss Gradwyn is strangled in the middle of the night by a mysterious person who wears latex gloves to do the deed. This is dreadful news, not only for the victim but for her renowned doctor, too.  Having your large home combined with surgical facilities and bedrooms and a murder is bad for business.  Lots of potential murderers are introduced into the fray with the manor, and a spooky English countryside.

Here’s the deal, what I liked about this authors writing was clever plots and and fabulous vocabulary. I do like to learn new words. The authors writing style was clearly unique and over the  the decades became much more of the same.. Then what happened was for some readers it grew and grew and for others it went in the opposite direction to redundancy and disdain dislike. Let me count the ways :-) PD James could describe any seen in detail even endless detail to the point you could actually see it feel it and even smell it indoors or outdoors it made no difference and her descriptions of people in every aspect brought them alive. She combined that with references to literature, culture and history to an American it was often fascinating. I took my high school students and spent almost a week there seeing Shakespeare in the Barbarbacon theater and the British Museumn an as far north as Stratford-on-Avon. it took the author about one third of the book before she got to commander Dalgliesh and his special unit of crime solvers. That part I was worn down   lost and bored

The interesting part to me was PD bringing the detectives who I knew from previous books, to a conclusion of their story in this her final book. I loved detective Kate whose rise from the bottom to near the top  she broke last glass ceilings I revered Dalgliesh as a special talent and the most interesting man who seemed likely to be about to retire and marry

These detective stories used to be called who dun-its.  I think this one had too many whos to figure out who dun it  with all the clues I’d have to go back and reread the first seven chapters, maybe twice. Would there be justice and accountability? Well it was from a British author although they don’t hang people for treason or murder like they used to. In America I think it would be unlikely to do that. So I’ll have to watch more TV in the upcoming weeks to show the senate votes'

http://www.barriesummy.com/    to book review club 

 

 

 


11 comments:

  1. Surely I have read it, but it doesn't seem familiar. I love the British whodunits whether they be literature or television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray - PD James is highly regarded here ... and they'd be wonderful books to read now ... meaty detective books ... keeping one involved. I must read some of her books again - once I can access the library. Stay safe and glad you're enjoying your book club - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the author makes you work a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment on my blog. I loved the fact that you took the initiative to hang your BLM banner and to think that it most likely was what gave the others the guts to do it. We are in such a historic time and I pray we can move forward with all people being allowed to be equal no matter color, and all the rest. Love you ! Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love British crime...books, TV shows, movies! Thank you for such a detailed review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an engaging book, on many levels. Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a profession located in your house makes me think of a home in the old townsite of Powell River. It looks like a typical early 1900s home but has what appears to be a basement style garage with large doors. In fact, the first homeowner/resident was the small town coroner and mortician. The downstairs area was for his business life. I'm not sure if the home's past has affected it's ability to sell to new owners even all these many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a meaty read. I have read PD James before, but not recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ray, I liked Adam D also when I read the first few novels featuring him. They led me on to reading the mystery genre as it is today and I've become an avid fan. However, recently I read that Agatha Christie had sold more books than any other author. Only the Bible exceeded her sell of books. So I went to Google and googled her top ten books. From that selected "And then there were none" (I'd seen the movie in 1945) and "the (something) of Roger Ackeroed." (that title needs some work on my part, not sure of spelling) Any way, I'm nearly at the end of the first one and it's outstanding. I'm amazed at her skill.

    So today looked up the best mysteries of the twentieth century from the CrimeFest website and I'm going to start reading all those--and that's a lot out of the 100 the site gives. There's something so satisfying about the plotting in these books and the characters. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, still writing at age 94! I can see why her work appeals to you.

    ReplyDelete