Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Monday, April 22, 2013

Earth Day

Today being Earth day I’m reminded of our 2nd honeymoon. Maybe I’d better explain.  Our high school teaching jobs had concluded at the end of May and we were married the first week in June.  Summer school at the U. of M. started a week later so the honeymoon consisted of a short trip to Winnipeg and northern Minnesota.  Yes,  we stopped at a resort for a couple of days so I could go fishing….. I know. I know.

When  summer classes at the U. were over  we headed west to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks plus on to British Columbia and Vancouver Island.  A second honeymoon as it were.   We were gone almost a month before returning to Minnesota and our next year of teaching.

It is the  thoughts of Glacier National Park that come to mind on this Earth Day.  There we camped and took hikes in the mountains, nature photography and a trail ride. Here the Troutbirders saddle up.   Being born and raised city folks we were a little inexperienced in horsemanship. 

(CNN) -- "As recently as 100 years ago, Montana's Glacier National Park had more than 150 glaciers throughout its more than one million acres.

 
In 2005 only 27 remained. Today the total is down to a just 25 and those that are left are mere remnants of their former frozen selves.

 

With warmer temperatures and changes to the water cycle, scientists predict Glacier National Park will be glacier-free by 2030."
We've traveled a lot in the years since both near and far. And often talked of going back but the thought of  an almost "Glacierless National Park" isn't very appealing.  Here are a few more of our converted slides showing what it and we looked like in 1966.
 
 
 

22 comments:

  1. That is a scary thought about a glacierless Glacier National Park. Loved the entry though and the photos are beautiful. What a wonderful way to spend a 1st and 2nd honeymoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a nice late summer honeymoon trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glacier was a great place for that 2nd honeymoon.
    Sad that the glaciers are melting so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Honeymoon trip! Sad to think of a Glacierless park!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is truly beautiful, or it was back then. I too mourn the loss of the glaciers but rejoice in the connection that still exists in your marriage! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I got married in 1966, May 21...a long weekend in Inuvik, NWT. No honey moon trip. Just back to school on Tues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an excellent post, both reminiscent & thought provoking.
    And what an amazing 2nd honeymoon!
    Great photos. You looked like a natural on the horse. :)
    Good Earth Day to you & Mrs. Troutbirder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took /amtrak out through these areas. I really like Vancouver Island and have visited a few times.Ate rainbows for dinner and breakfast today.Got a 9 ft # 6 on Saturday, so wanted to break it in.That extra 6 inches will take a bit of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know you had a keeper when she was fine with your going fishing on your honeymoon:))
    Loved seeing the young and eager TBs.
    That is entirely too sad about the disappearing glaciers. Guess if I want to see them, I should hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi tb...what wonderful memories and pictures! You both look so happy! Considering the fact that you were able to let go of the reins with one hand, I think you did pretty good on that horse. How sad that the glaciers are melting away. I bet Yellowstone (I visited as a child of five and ran smack into a bear)has changed a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have enjoyed a few trips there too..camping..gosh I miss camping. My husband says he is too old to sleep on the ground in a tent. I have been through the Park twice by train an awesome adventure! Sad that the glaciers are disappearing. Alaska is on our list..but we need almost an entire summer to go there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again you have proven that Ms. T is the genuine article. Loved the photographs although my heart aches over what we are doing to our Mother Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At first when you mentioned fishing on your honeymoon, I thought, boy are you a lucky man that she stayed married to you. But then, the later part of that trip sounds quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I came over to America in 1961 my boyfriend at the time lived in Great Falls, Montana. I visited there and he took me to Glacier National Park – I was in awe. In 2002 my daughter spent a summer in Helena for her Master’s thesis (medical) on women’s health on the Montana reservations. I visited her and we went to Glacier – I did find it changed from those 41 years earlier. I’d like to go again though – even a few days – it’s such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one for my "Bucket List" but looks like I had better mark this one off soon or there with be no glaciers to view, sigh. I would have been Fishing along with the Saint as we both find that so relaxing. Being in nature is just awesome. Thanks for taking up back with ya...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rode an Amtrak through Glacier National Park about 30 years ago. I thought it was spectacular then but I suppose it looks not so good now. So much is happening to our environment -- so fast. It is similar to putting out a lot of wildfires all at once -- but try we must. Did ehjoy your neat photos-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful spot, and reminds me of when I was a horseback trail guide out West in younger years!
    Yes that is sad about the glaciers, hopefully the park itself remains a natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a brave man to mount a horse as an inexperience city slicker. No doubt the horses were experienced enough for both of you.
    The parks are beautiful places. When the glaciers are gone we need to worry about our rivers which are largely fed by them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow....what nice memories! Here's wishing for an "icy" Earth Day for Glacier NP - and the other hot spots on Earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful honeymoon! How sad to hear of the melting glaciers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You two have enjoyed some wonderful travels and sights! Glacier is a place I'd still like to visit . . . Hopefully before it's glacier-free. Great post. I would say you're enjoying the photos and reliving the trips!

    ReplyDelete