Troutbirder II

Troutbirder II
Click on Mark Twain to jump to Troutbirders book review blog

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Residential school closes

 


A recent story in both the Minneapolis and St. Paul newspapers caught my eye. The headline in the Minneapolis Star and Tribune stated end of an era for troubled boys. St. Paul’s century old boys totem town closes. I was there for two years while an undergraduate student at the University of Minnesota. Basically as a volunteer supervisor/playground director every weekend. I got 2 college credits in the process as well as improving my resume to achieve my goal as a senior high history teacher.

Boys Totem Town  was a residential program for up to  adolescent boys age 14-18 who had been committed by the court to treatment for committing offenses and demonstrating risky behavioral concerns in the community. I learned a lot in my two years there and some of it stood well when it came to discipline issues in the my own career. I also think the reason for closing was well-founded. With better methods of dealing with delinquency have  less and less incarceration. Keeping families together, community support and so on as well as much less serious behavioral issues all were making a difference. At closing there were only two boys still in the facility.. That’s a good sign.

In a roundabout way the nostalgia that this newspaper item brought up reminded me of an interview I had with my principal in my first high school job in small town rural Minnesota. I would be teaching senior Social studies meaning my classes would be17 and 18 year olds. I was 22. In a fatherly manner to a young rookie teacher he noted my experience with delinquent boys that small town farm girls were not without their wiles. Be careful he noted and I did. What he didn't warn me about was a bunch of unmarried female colleagues. That included one who later boasted that following her girlfriends suggestion she admonished the superintendent to hire a single male to replace the departing senior social studies teacher. Or in her own words she had requisitioned me. I had no chance whatsoever. It was all for ordained.
Two retired teachers on their 50th anniversary

16 comments:

  1. That story of requisitioning a single social studies teacher, namely you, is priceless. as is your 59th anniversary photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that was 25 years apiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read and re-read this, Ray. So enjoyable, and such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't have a chance, but I don't think you have any regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet memories and picture. Hold onto those good things to bolster your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't have a chance but not sure you wanted one from the looks of the picture. Not many of us can say we were pre-selected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Barb!! She knew what she was doing. What a great story:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Troutbirder, isn't it amazing how lives intertwine and from that comes an entire life's journey. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She “requisitioned you” — hahaha. I think that worked out rather well!
    Interesting that you worked at Totem Town. It was situated in a pretty area back in the day. I’m sure it was a good experience for a would-be teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting story about the boys school. Pretty funny that the lady set you up! Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Ray ... love the photo of the two of you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete